Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   So Cal Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/so-cal-cobra-club/)
-   -   Smog (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/so-cal-cobra-club/132491-smog.html)

ender2664 02-13-2015 12:48 PM

Smog

Does anyone know the registration process in CA? What year motor does my car have to be so that I don't need to smog it?

Paul F 02-13-2015 01:21 PM

Do a search for the many posts on this forum for SB100. You can use any motor, any year.

But there may be other issues you have to deal with.

Is this a car previously registered in another state?
Is this a newly assembled car?
Is this a used car previously registered in California?

We need to know more to further advise you.

ender2664 02-13-2015 01:27 PM

It is going to be a kit assembled by me in California. So it has never been registered.

Paul F 02-13-2015 03:36 PM

Ok. Then it's a piece of cake.

DMV visit to pay registration fees and get an SB100 number. SB100 allows you to be exempt from almost all smog requirements and smog tests.

Visit to CHP to get a VIN number
BAR visit for inspection - really a formality. All you need is a PVC valve. You will also get a sticker placed on your car that is your SB100 ticket to no smog inspections.
Back to the DMV for your title

Those are the basic steps. You can put any motor from any year using SB100.

Hooch 09-05-2016 10:24 AM

I've looked through the posts in this forum and most seem very old, trying to get updated information on registering in CA. I'm moving there from Indiana. I registered my car in Indiana in 2010. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks.

socalliving 10-01-2016 01:09 PM

Paul F is correct. Bought my cobra from out of state and did most of what Paul mentioned. If you have any questions I have all the answers. If was painless but time consuming.

Steve

Varmit 11-22-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ender2664 (Post 1339440)
It is going to be a kit assembled by me in California. So it has never been registered.

make sure you keep the receipts of EVERYTHING on your car