Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   New Superformance owners beware (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/104563-new-superformance-owners-beware.html)

209 05-17-2010 06:12 PM

New Superformance owners beware

My SPF 2765 that I purchased in Feb 2009 and received July 9th was driven 5800 miles until the passenger side front bearing let go and destroyed the spindle, bearings with races, rotor, and caliper. Just a warning to new owners and those of you who have 3 and 5 year old Superformances with 500 miles. Since my car is over a year old, let's watch and see. Will update. Since there was plenty of grease, my front end man said maybe the bearings were too tight? Bearing races spun on spindle and rotor and all were blue. 209

vegasmike 05-18-2010 07:24 AM

That is precisely why I took my car up to Dennis Olthoff a couple months ago. There was nothing specific wrong with the car, but I wanted him to go over the car and check all of the "nuts, bolts, fittings, etc." I specifically told him to look at the brakes and suspension. I have car #2813 and about 1700 miles on it. I just think that it is a good practice with these cars to have them put on a lift once every 12-18 months and gone over by someone with more knowledge than I have.

Much of this relates to who the dealer was as well since they have the opportunity to do this at delivery as well. I do not think it is a required step, but it is something that my dealer mentioned he routinely does with every delivery.

The dealer and engine installer are as important as the manufacturer with these cars.

Sorry you had problems with yours. I always worry about something like this and plan to take my car up to Dennis every 12-18 months. Does it look like something that could have been prevented or is it a part failure?

Got the Bug 05-18-2010 08:22 AM

Vegasmike,

Did you transport your car from Vegas to Olthoff's shop for the inspection? You might want to check out Full Throttle Performance (Stephen Bramlitt) in Sparks, NV next time you want to have full inspection of your car.

Agree with you that a thorough inspection needs to be done on a regular basis to prevent any problems. More than likely, the issue that 209 encountered wouldn't have been found during a routine inspection.

emberglo66 05-18-2010 08:47 AM

Who install the power steering unit? You might want to take your complaint to them? Just a thought! I have my car "nut and bolted" each year. 13,500 miles with no issues. I had the first inspection at 500 than again at 1000 and 1500.

vegasmike 05-18-2010 09:01 AM

I actually moved to NC recently. If I was still in Las Vegas, I would either send the car up to Wayne at Gear 6 Performance, drive it up there myself, or fly him down.

I need to update my profile.

gary osborne 05-18-2010 09:16 AM

Did you buy your car new or used? It sounds like you bought it new based on purchase / delivery date. However, I would have guessed car #2765 would have been built well before Feb of last year based on super slow car sales in a fractured economy. I know they are building #3000 now. In any case, I think this is far more a dealer issue (assuming the car was new) than a manufacturer issue. If it was a manufacturer issue you would hear of this more often than just once out of 3000 cars. If it was used (but I'm guessing NOT), it may be a previous owner issue and neither the dealer or manufacturer. Also, if you took delivery last July, how is it over a year old? What is your dealer saying?

mrmustang 05-18-2010 10:30 AM

Whenever I purchase a new (used) car I always go through it from top to bottom. I act as if I am headed to the track ;) and tech the car as such. I also do a bi-annual inspection (more depending on use and mileage) of the car with the same thoughts in mind. Even my daily driver (2K Expedition) gets checked constantly, whether it needs to be or not, it's my life and the life of my family that is always in my mind.

Bill S.

Silverback51 05-18-2010 11:38 AM

I see the moderators were busy with this thread.

Thank you.:cool: I almost responded and thought better of it.:CRY:

dcdoug 05-18-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverback51 (Post 1051716)
I see the moderators were busy with this thread.

Thank you.:cool: I almost responded and thought better of it.:CRY:

Yes, thank you for that. :)

madmaxx 05-18-2010 02:24 PM

Just remember anything that goes wrong is your fault and be thankful it is. You will be much happier that way!!

CobraEd 05-18-2010 03:26 PM

Ah yes, . . . The Delete key !!

ou812545 05-18-2010 03:30 PM

Just curious if your front end guy thought he could have caught the problem before the failure if he would have done a nut a bolt inspection?

I do a complete nut and bolt check including brakes and suspension about once a month. If my bearings were too loose I maybe able to catch that, but if they are to tight that would be tough to catch. Especially if they were too tight from the factory and you already have 5800 miles on the car.

I wonder if the bearings or another part of the hub was defective.

Please keep us updated.

PANAVIA 05-18-2010 03:36 PM

We would be happy to inspect and repack any bearings, cases brakes, etc.

I have over 5500 miles on my SPF without issue. ( 2734 )
Jerrome 2808 has 15000

so yours is probably an isolated indecent.

However, with that said, -checking things out is a good idea on ANY performance car.

The installer, is as important if not more so than your dealer.

Remember -- have your installers / dealers do things ; "up-to-a-standard"

--and not "down-to-a-price" and you will be much better off, happier etc.

If they are feeling pinched , they will take shortcuts - its human nature.

Steve

Got the Bug 05-18-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PANAVIA (Post 1051767)
We would be happy to inspect and repack any bearings, cases brakes, etc.

I have over 5500 miles on my SPF without issue. ( 2734 )
Jerrome 2808 has 15000

so yours is probably an isolated indecent.

Remember -- have your installers / dealers do things ; "up-to-a-standard"

--and not "down-to-a-price" and you will be much better off, happier etc.

If they are feeling pinched , they will take shortcuts - its human nature.

Steve

Jerome has 15,000 miles?? He got his car after me. Crap, I'm a slacker!

ekrupa2 05-18-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got the Bug (Post 1051791)
Jerome has 15,000 miles?? He got his car after me. Crap, I'm a slacker!

Better get on that Doug....:LOL:

209 05-18-2010 08:05 PM

Spf 2765 was bought new from Dynamic Auto West in Redwood City in Feb 2009 and the roller was from Hillbank Irvine's inventory. Full Throttle Performance Reno did the Roush install along with Second Strike's power steering unit and Vintage Air's air conditioning components. I have already ordered the whole mess: spindle, bearings/races/washer/nut/keeper etc, caliper/pads, and rotor/carrier. Hopefully Irvine will send all parts. I was convinced warranty would be extended. Pin drive spool was not damaged. Will update. Panavia, watch the next 300 miles lol. Cliff

PANAVIA 05-18-2010 10:59 PM

Will put car on rack later this week, and review.

Hammer65 05-19-2010 01:36 PM

My SPF 2743 is 2 years old and has just over 3000 miles. Sometime in the next week I've planned to take in back to the installer for an oil change and thorough inspection. I post the results after that.