Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge Replaced with electric (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/134643-mechanical-oil-pressure-gauge-replaced-electric.html)

tortuga 09-14-2015 07:44 PM

Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge Replaced with electric

Bought the gauge and sender from Niosinger, ($250 ish)

And a ford sender extension from Summit-needed to fit sender: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c2oz-9b339-c ($25)

and a 1/8-1/4 reducer bushing from the hardware store to adapt the sender to the extension. ($1.79)

It was a breeze to pull the sender wire through, just jammed it in the hose and pulled the hose through to the guage through the existing sleeve.

The light has the switched 12v dash power and a system ground, the only other wire was switched 12v that i pulled from the green bundles on the wiring tray 9beside the signal wire).

No more oily weeping oil sender or the possibility of an oil leak into the cockpit.

jhv48 09-14-2015 09:03 PM

I did the same with the oil temp gauge.

zrayr 09-16-2015 02:45 PM

I've been using mechanical oil pressure gauges for 50 years and never had the oil line to the gauge leak oil yet.
I am just lucky ?

Z.

Blas 09-16-2015 05:43 PM

A wise man once said...'if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

zrayr 09-16-2015 05:57 PM

Sometimes I work under a similar axiom, "no matter how much I fix it, it's still broke."

Z

tortuga 09-16-2015 06:59 PM

I have...1962 MBZ

Quote:

Originally Posted by zrayr (Post 1362989)
I've been using mechanical oil pressure gauges for 50 years and never had the oil line to the gauge leak oil yet.
I am just lucky ?

Z.

The plumbing at the source WAS weeping, where it would likely fail.

Got the Bug 09-16-2015 08:49 PM

I battled the weeping compression fitting at the block early on. A buddy suggested converting the plastic hose and compression fitting, to a braided line. Been dry as a bone since installing the braided line.

zrayr 09-17-2015 06:26 PM

As soon my plastic line starts leaking, I'm going to the braided line also. I thought it was leaking once, but it was the brass adaptor fitting leaking thru the threads. A little Hylomar fixed that.

Z

1985 CCX 09-18-2015 07:39 AM

Well the 289 came electric, so I have to say welcome to the club.... **)

jhv48 09-18-2015 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zrayr (Post 1363133)
As soon my plastic line starts leaking, I'm going to the braided line also. I thought it was leaking once, but it was the brass adaptor fitting leaking thru the threads. A little Hylomar fixed that.

Z

Call the folks at BATINC, they will make up the braided line with the correct fittings on both ends so you will only have to remove the old line and attach the new one.

ACademic 09-18-2015 10:39 AM

I personally would never chance oil pressure readings to an electronic connection. Temps are another matter and not as sensitive. The proper braided line will eliminate all leaks.

Propwash 09-18-2015 06:06 PM

Two functions for which I never use electric gauges are oil pressure and water temperature. Both are too important to leave to the vagaries of electrical signals. I never use plastic lines for the o/p, I always use either copper or braided. If the OEM on any Shelby roadster was electric (Smith's) then that's the only exception, but I have plumbed up an accessory mech w/t on my 260.

tortuga 09-19-2015 06:41 AM

Well the elcec gauge looks like crap at night, weird color and big light gaps around the back set face...Glad i didnt deep 6 the mechanical guage: may be reverting. Nisinger sort of said it is what it is and what it is i don't really like.

Braided line huh?

Just dawned on me that i am leaving monitoring of this parameter to ENGLISH electrics too...

DanMartin 09-19-2015 11:12 AM

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_reg.../Smokekit2.jpg

madmaxx 09-19-2015 01:43 PM

Nisinger has lost a lot of altitude with me. I bought an oil temp gauge once and it was way off. Their response, everybody fksup, I believe I had to pay shipping back. Sounds like they do it more often than not.

tortuga 09-25-2015 07:28 PM

Update: This Smiths Gauge is a total POS...I wired it correctly using shrink wrapped butt splices, proper ground and power etc...Its all over the place back to mechanical and a call to Nosinger...