Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Very cool indeed.
Nice to see other experienced people willing to chime in.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Owner's Manual package will be in the mail in the morning. (see earlier email)
Includes the Wiring Diagram and Service Bulletin package, etc. for the MKII FIA's... Owner's Manual to follow after chassis number etc. is established.

If you track any electrical modifications you make, I will customize the Wiring Diagram to specifically match your cars. We will talk down the road on this... I will send two paper copies to you tomorrow, one for marking-up changes and the other copy to soak up coffee spills... We can also do something similar with the Owner's Manual if you like...
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 12-28-2016, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Rick and Blas,

Thanks! Great to here that the car will be in production soon and that it will be on expedited status. Things continue to fall in place. Much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

New to the site, at least FIA cars, and will be following.

Mark.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

"One of the problems we encountered was filling up our catch can on the rear end .... and we found out that the oil was going out the breather or vent hose into the catch can .... and then would not return to the diff.... then we would damage the differential..... "

I personally had never experienced this problem using the 4HU salisbury type , so when the new diffs being used did, I was unsure why. Even the one I got from Mike Mcluskey and assembled by Gear Pro (Alan Will) has never even dribbled after an outing on the track.
Thanks Morris for those great pics...
Old 12-29-2016, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Sounds like an awesome build!! Looking forward to watching the progress.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside racer View Post
"One of the problems we encountered was filling up our catch can on the rear end .... and we found out that the oil was going out the breather or vent hose into the catch can .... and then would not return to the diff.... then we would damage the differential..... "

I personally had never experienced this problem using the 4HU salisbury type , so when the new diffs being used did, I was unsure why. Even the one I got from Mike Mcluskey and assembled by Gear Pro (Alan Will) has never even dribbled after an outing on the track.
Thanks Morris for those great pics...
It's little tricks like this that make you be able to put a car on a track and have complete confidence in it's ability to perform.....then you can concentrate on driving.....or learning to drive...

By the way......I ran many laps around riverside in the 80's.....

Morris
Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default At last

Jim many congratulations and great choice of car!
I'll be eagerly watching your progress from across the pond. Please keep us updated on the build

Lloyd
Attached Images

Jim Kellogg, Bill D, 1795 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Lucia289; 12-30-2016 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: Pic
Old 12-30-2016, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lloyd,

Is that you behind the wheel? Would like to hear any thoughts that you may have regarding the build and performance on the track.

Jim
Old 12-30-2016, 04:55 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Lloyd,

Is that you behind the wheel? Would like to hear any thoughts that you may have regarding the build and performance on the track.

Jim
Jim,

Nah, he's a Scotsman now so you canna trust anything he says!
Jim Kellogg and Lucia289 like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default toploader transmission support

Hello everyone. I am in the process of ordering the Girling brakes and should have them here in a few weeks hopefully. I have received the wiring diagrams and some parts of the manual from Blas, thanks. As I was looking over some of the installation instructions it was stated that the transmission support was deigned for a Tremec transmission and that the use of a top loader would require some fabrication.

Has anyone out there with a SPF MKII FIA installed a top loader in their car, and if so, would you please post pictures of how you fabricated the transmission support cross member so that I have an idea of how to modify the support when I receive the roller?

Thanks, and hope that everyone had a happy new year and the god weather will be upon us in a couple of months, or so....in the north east.

Jim
Bill D likes this.

Last edited by 1795; 01-08-2017 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

The toploader uses the same insulator as the Tremec. The "modification" is a flat plate to bridge the distance between the Tremec mounting position to the toploader position. I can fab it for you.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

No pics yet? What gives....
Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

Thanks for the quick response! I have to run these things through my head to fill the time until the roller is here
Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
No pics yet? What gives....
Still waiting for a delivery date for the roller! Will hopefully have the transmission and rebuilt differential here in a couple of weeks and will post pictures.

I did add the frame as my avatar, that's the best that I can do for now.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Hello everyone. I am in the process of ordering the Girling brakes and should have them here in a few weeks hopefully. I have received the siring diagrams and some parts of the maul from Blas, thanks. As I was looking over some of the installation instructions it was stated that the transmission support was deigned for a Tremec transmission and that the use of a top loader would require some fabrication.

Has anyone out there with a SPF MKII FIA installed a top loader in their car, and if so, would you please post pictures of how you fabricated the transmission support cross member so that I have an idea of how to modify the support when I receive the roller?

Thanks, and hope that everyone had a happy new year and the god weather will be upon us in a couple of months, or so....in the north east.

Jim
what I don't understand is:

why can't you get get a race ready roller with correct brakes and differential from spf, while spf is promoting their 289 mkll cars for vintage racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Jim's chassis has been ordered from the factory and will be expedited to allow time for the build-out and race prep needed.

As Jim indicated Ross Henry and others prevailed upon SVRA to allow the composite body cars to compete. Vintage racing is facing an issue in that many of the original race cars have reached values that have caused the owners to pull them from competition thus reducing the grids in the most spectator popular classes. Realizing that a viewer can't tell the body material from the stands, SVRA has decreed that we can run our MK II 289 series cars so long as the powertrain and brakes are of period type. We have developed an option for the Girling calipers and solid rotors that may be owner installed on the existing chassis to meet the regulations now in effect. This means there will be several new "old" cars to compete. We have had inquiries from owners of original vintage Cobras about duplicating their race car in a new Superformance MK II and fully expect that within a year there will be several more competing. In fact if we get enough cars, we are looking at a "sub" class that will have their own placing and awards with sponsorship from us.

Currently Jim is the first of two Superformance FIAs destined for SVRA competition. We welcome inquiries from anyone interested in racing on of our cars.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They were still working the brake availability when we were putting the order together. Being that this is the first car, we (I) pushed things along a little more quickly to ensure that it was up and running for the race season. The Girling brakes are ready to be shipped and should be here in about a week.

I could have gone with the Salisbury differential from SPF, but decided to go this route as it saved me a few dollars and the budget was getting stretched.

By the time that race season arrives people will be able to order everything that they need.

Last edited by 1795; 01-04-2017 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
what I don't understand is:

why can't you get get a race ready roller with correct brakes and differential from spf, while spf is promoting their 289 mkll cars for vintage racing?
The "race brake" package is a non-factory option that must be dealer or customer installed. Just like the fuel cell and race roll bar these are non-standard items that impact the product liability and therefor are "after sale" items.

Virtually all manufacturers do not provide a "race ready" vehicle. Consider that many of the modifications required will differ by the owner, i.e. shock choice, alignment, etc.

The standard differential in a MK II is a ZF, vintage regulations require an original type diff. The Salisbury type diff IS a factory option, however they are currently produced with an aluminum case. The rules only allow an iron unit so the cars come with the frame configured for the Salisbury, we credit for the ZF and can supply an iron unit ready for rebuild as we did with Jim (1795)

This is not really different than modifying a Mustang you bought at the Ford dealer to go racing. The dealer can provide the car and some of the parts but the mods are on the owner.

We are doing all we can to support the customers that are purchasing chassis' from us to race however the factory is not prepared or equipped to produce custom race cars.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

understand, thanks guys
Old 01-05-2017, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

This thread is really making me want to open my piggy bank and go vintage racing. So many dreams, so little time and money.
1795 likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: