Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Jim

I think you might be better off just replacing the rear cover with a steel cover if you are going to put the vent and return fitting on the top of the rear end.....just saying...
Old 02-28-2017, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Morris,

I will take that under consideration and run it by my crew. Quickly learning a lot about the internal working of differentials.

Reading up a lot on roll centers and center of gravity and how to adjust those for optimum performance. It will be a little similar to what I have suspension wise to the MGB, with the transverse leaf springs, but somewhat different as well and different than adjusting ride height with a coil over system.

A lot to think about and plan for in a few short months.

Jim
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris,

Looks like we will be going with the steel cover. Thanks.

Jim
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Getting closer

It's getting a little closer to done at the factory. Here is the latest picture. Should be completed by early next week and then loaded onto the freighter for it's trip home.

The next pictures should be of the completed roller, minus wheels.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Gorgeous! Simply gorgeous!!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill. Cannot wait to see it in person. should be arriving at Olthoff Racing in mid-April and I will be picking it up and bringing it home after Dennis mounts the race tires on the wheels so that I can transport it. Will pick his brain while I am there for suggestions for race setup. Then back to update NY with a stop by Time Machines where Ross, Rick and Roy will be helping me install the differential and then back home for the rest of the install and modifications to get her ready to race.

I should have one last photo of the completed car before it gets shipped that I will post and place under my pillow until it gets home

Jim
Bill D likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rear cover!

Well, Ross did an excellent job on the rear cover. We were going to go with the steel cover, and Ross had one in hand, but he suggested that we should try to use the alloy one as it would help with keeping the temperature down with the differential oil, due to the cooling fins and composition of the cover. I concurred with Ross, as we will not be running an oil cooler on the differential at this time.

Ross was able to make the adjustments and welded in deflectors and tapped the holes on the rear cover for plugs. He also added a tee at the top of the differential in case we added an oil cooler at a later date. For now the tee will be plugged. Still have to do some final filing and fitting, but it is a definite improvement over the stock one.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am anticipating receiving some final photos of the car before it is loaded n the shipping container shortly.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Full credit to Morris for this mod as I have never experienced this issue before. I did not want to drill and tap the case up front for the return of cooled oil as this unit rebuilt already, but would do so if possible in future as Morris points out that would help cool the pinion bearing . Now to tidy it up by grinding with die grinder.
Thanks again Morris and I am anxiously waiting for results once Jim puts it on the track.
regards, Ross
Old 03-07-2017, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris and Ross both deserve credit for the rear cover and differential mods. Morris for the advice and design, and Ross for the execution!

Ross, I too cannot wait to get the car on the track and see how she performs. I watch youtube videos of other vintage racers on a daily basis to get a sense for Mid Ohio, as I have not raced there yet. Looks a little challenging in spots, but not any more challenging than Mosport or Watkins Glen.

Attached are the latest photos, coming along slowly but surely.

Jim
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by 1795; 03-07-2017 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2017, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's finally ready for shipping!

Ross just forwarded the final set of pictures to me. the car is finally ready for shipping and should be on the big boat heading home soon! Where is a transporter when you need one?! Beam it over here Scotty!

For your viewing pleasure,

My work will be starting soon! Now I have to sit back and wait. Race seat, fuel cell, fuel pump, and a few other parts will be arriving today and the harnesses, fire system, kill and start switches should be arriving by next week.

Jim
Jim Kellogg, 1985 CCX and peterpjb like this.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Sweet!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

Looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

Looks Great!
One question though, does your racing organization require original specification brake calipers and rotors?
I believe SVRA requires original "in period" brake calipers and rotors for the B Production class.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes,

You are correct in that SVR requires period correct brake calipers and rotors.

That is why I purchased these from BG Development in the UK. They are sitting in my den awaiting the car. So when the car gets here that brand new set of Wilwood calipers and rotors are coming off.

They do real nice work!

Last edited by 1795; 03-09-2017 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Sweet!
Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes she is nice. It's too bad that I am going to have a box full of brand new parts when I am done. When it gets here off come the wind wings, visors, the drivers seat, windshield wipers, Wilwood brakes and a few other assorted items.

The ATL 15 gallon fuel cell, Kirkey racing seat, fuel pump impact cut-off switch, Carter fuel pump and Prothane urethane transmission mount arrived today. Rick has the urethane motor mounts for me.

It is moving forward. The fire suppression system has been shipped and the rest of my order from Saferacer should be shipping out soon.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Jim: I haven't been following your thread, just taking a peek now and then, when it dawned on me that you were going Vintage racing with a REPLICA ! I have been toying with the idea of selling my Kirkham as a vintage racer, but didn't know which racing assoc allowed replicas. Had been trying to contact Ric Parent @ svra, and tried to make contact with him at Sebring last sat, but he wasn't there.(home with the flu I was told)
I just now did a quick review of your thread, and lo and behold, I see that SVRA does allow some replicas. Could you tell me who at SVRA was/is your contact ?
Looks like your car will be something special, good luck with it !

Ted
Old 03-11-2017, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ted,

Ross Henry, Dennis Olthoff and John Cropper did the majority of the discussion with Rick Parent, and probably others at SVRA to get the Superformance FIA/Comp models approved for vintage racing. I have been working directly with Rick Parent and have been keeping an ongoing dialogue with him as the build is progressing regarding parts that I have purchased.

Basically to see what you might require to compete in SVRA with a replica, go to the SVRA website and look up the car that you are replicating (right now for Superformance the only cars approved are the 289's) and look at the make and model specification sheet under the car rules section. It will describe how your car has to be set up. The frame, engine, transmission, suspension, brakes and body have to meet the standards set in that document.

SVRA, and most vintage groups, do not allow stroking of engines, aluminum heads, or transmissions that are not similar to the original transmission. they do allow after market blocks and heads if they are of the same material, stroke and bore (with allowed over bore of 0.047) as original, iron for cobras.

You would have to also meet the requirements for general safety concerns regarding fuel cell, harnesses, roll cage, etc.

It would probably involve a lot of alteration to your existing car. PM me with your phone number if you want to talk more.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 03-11-2017 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-11-2017, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Transverse leaf spring suspension

Attached are some new photos showing the front transverse leaf spring suspension. Real nice looking work.

Jim
Jim Kellogg likes this.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

looks great, but still some work for you...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: