Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Sounds good to me! Appreciate the offer. Could not ask for better help than Ross, Roy and your guidance. Now all we have to do is get it here.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Have you cleared customs yet?

Mark
Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
It is finally done!

Attached are some pictures of the completed engine and a link to a youtube video of the engine starting up and running on the stand. It will be shipped next week.

Now all I have to do is get everything here and start getting my hands dirty.

https://youtu.be/jNZHcUjiSRc

Jim
Jim, radical sounding small blk !

Solid roller ?

What's the apx HP/TQ ?
Old 04-25-2017, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
Have you cleared customs yet?

Mark
Mark,

Finally cleared customs!!! The car will be delivered to Dennis Olthoff today and he will mount the tires on the wheels and take a look at the roll cage modifications. Plan is I will leave Thursday morning early (12 hour drive) and get there late afternoon. Planning on loading the car and engine on the trailer Friday morning and heading home. Will post pictures when I get the chance.

Have to run to Massachusetts Saturday for a wedding, and Sunday the fun begins!

Jim
Old 04-25-2017, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Jim, radical sounding small blk !

Solid roller ?

What's the apx HP/TQ ?
Yes it is a solid roller with a custom ground cam. The cam peaks at about 7500 rpm; nice lobe separation!

Have not had the engine on the dyno, planning on putting it on a chassis dyno. Estimates are about 450 HP and 380 TQ. It should do well and keep me competitive. There will be some people with deeper pockets who will be running about 485 HP, but those engines will be in heavier cars so my HP to weight ratio should be good.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have a good time at the wedding, and safe travels. Looking forward to seeing it with wheels. Haven't see 0012 with wheels yet. I'm going to call today and see if they can get some.

Mark
Old 04-27-2017, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Picking car up!

Mark,

So this is what one looks like with the wheels and tires on. The spinners were some spare ones that Dennis had available, they will be changed when the car gets home.

Did not have time for a lot of pictures, May take a couple tomorrow after the car is loaded on the trailer. It was a long trip, 12 hour of driving and I am a little exhausted. Spent almost 2 hours talking with Dennis Olthoff, he is a wealth of knowledge and gave me some good ideas. For those of you who do not know, Dennis' father raced an original 289 cobra.

The work soon begins. Will start by tearing things down so that I can get at suspension and frame components and then start rebuilding!

The car looks a little funny right now with how it sits so high, but that is because there is no engine, transmission or differential installed. It will settle down when those items and the fuel cell are in place.

Jim
Old 04-27-2017, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Looks great in red (bet you didn't know that I have a Red C5 Z06). Also I kinda like the Blue knock offs. Makes for a nice contrast with the Red, and with a White PC wheels?

Get home, have a coffee and get started.

Mark.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default And so it begins...

Had very long weekend, drove 12 hours to NC on Thursday and finally saw the car in person and talked to Dennis Olthoff. We loaded the car and the engine on the trailer Friday morning and then I drove 11 1/2 hours back home. Had to run to a wedding in MA for the weekend. so today the transition from street FIA to vintage race FIA began.

First things that went were the wind wings and visors. Do not need those on the track.

Next the seats came out. You have to remove the heat shields from underneath the car and then there are four nuts to remove. the driver's side came out a little easier than the passenger side because I did not have to work around the forward brace.

Then it was time to remove the transmission tunnel to gain access for the transmission install. A couple of dozen screws and that came out with a little wiggling.

Next the rear panel came out so that i could have access to the frame and roll cage modifications. A little bit of work after removing the screws, but not too bad.

Then lastly, started removing the Wilwood brakes to get ready to mount the Girlings.

That's all for today. Will fill you in as the tear down and rebuild continues. More to come.

Jim
Jim Kellogg, 1985 CCX, LMH and 2 others like this.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Very nice build.........Are you required to run Koni's. Hope to see you out West at Laguna Seca some day.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shocks are free, as long as they do not drastically differ in function than the originals. Going to go with the stock Spax shocks for now and see how they perform. Taking some modifications one step at a time. I have to keep the transverse leaf springs and cannot substitute coil overs.

Would be nice to make it to the west coast some day. Would be a long and expensive trip.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Mark,

So this is what one looks like with the wheels and tires on. The spinners were some spare ones that Dennis had available, they will be changed when the car gets home.

Did not have time for a lot of pictures, May take a couple tomorrow after the car is loaded on the trailer. It was a long trip, 12 hour of driving and I am a little exhausted. Spent almost 2 hours talking with Dennis Olthoff, he is a wealth of knowledge and gave me some good ideas. For those of you who do not know, Dennis' father raced an original 289 cobra.

The work soon begins. Will start by tearing things down so that I can get at suspension and frame components and then start rebuilding!

The car looks a little funny right now with how it sits so high, but that is because there is no engine, transmission or differential installed. It will settle down when those items and the fuel cell are in place.

Jim
Jim,
Which shade of red is your car?

AC
Old 05-02-2017, 12:09 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Jim,
Which shade of red is your car?

AC
Monza red, a standard Superformance color.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-02-2017, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like you'er moving right along Jim.

Mark.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Girling brakes conversion

Ross, Roy and Rick got together with me to start taking a look at the conversion from the Wilwood brakes to the Girling brakes. This is what we started with

the first step was to try to dry fit the Girling rotor over the drive pins, and that did not work as the rotor are threaded and the holes are of a smaller diameter than the pins. The Wilwood rotors slide over the pins, which are secured at the back of the hub by nuts. The drive pins also have a different thread than the Girling rotors.

In addition there were clearance issue with the Girling calipers if attached directly to the mounting point on the uprights.

The Wilwood calipers are attached by a bracket, which i will have to get a good picture of next time, and the Girlings attach to the upright and steering assembly directly on originals. Roy brought with him the upright from an regional slab side and we attached that to help figure out mounting strategies. First picture is what is on the car, the second is the original.

We attempted to mount the rotor as on the original, which is behind the hub, as opposed to the SPF FIA Wilwood which side over the pins on the outside of the hub and ran into clearance issues with the lower ball joint. The lower ball joint on the SPF FIA is more substantial than the lower ball joints on the originals and the rotor was rubbing on the ball joint.

We then removed the original upright and placed the SPF upright back on. We then decided to use a similar setup as the Wilwood rotor used with the rotor sliding over the pins, so we drilled out the threads and widened the holes on the Girling rotor to allow for the rotor to slide over the pins and test fit. It worked!

Next step was to check to see if the caliper would fit and figure out how to mount it. You may notice that one of the pins is missing and it was replaced by a bolt, another person working on his SPF FIA had broken a drive pin and there was a lag in getting a replacement for him so Dennis asked if I would send him one of mine since I was going to have some time before my car was on the track. So we placed the Girling caliper, which is substantially larger than the Wilwoood on the rotor and went about cutting the SPF mounting bracket for the Wilwood and making a template out of some material on hand to attempt t make a new mounting bracket.

We then test fit the wheel and it was tight, but did fit. We may need to make some adjustment to the caliper mounting. We did have to remove the tire weights which were attached at the outside edge of the inner side of the wheel, as they were making contact with the caliper.

So the next step is for Ross to manufacture the new bracket, test fit and make adjustments as needed and then move on to taking a look at the back brakes.

Progress! More later.

Jim
LMH, cobrakiwi, Moto One and 1 others like this.

Last edited by 1795; 05-06-2017 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim's experience (that's what you get when you don't get what you wanted!) will allow us to manufacture a "bolt-on" Girling kit for the vintage racers. While the suspension is of original design and done from the AC prints and original samples, Hi Tech made improvements in the ball joints to make the suspension stronger and that has caused some minor interference issues with the rotor in front.

Ross has liaised with the factory and they figured out the revisions to allow the Girlings to work. Some fast and dirty machine work by a friend down the street (thanks McCarthy!) saved the day.

Once this is fully proven out we will be able to offer a full kit to allow the conversion.

Many thanks to Jim A. for being the Guinea Pig on this operation.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Very, very nice! once again congrats. I bet your excitement level is sky hi
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Excellent work guys! It's really coming along. Ross, Roy and Rick fantastic customer service!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also very handy that Roy has an original 289 Cobra in his laundry room......
1985 CCX likes this.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep up the good work Jim.

Mark