Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 08-31-2020, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Hi Jim, congratulations on the GT. Enjoy.

Mark.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Mark,

I am! Wish that I could be racing the cobra. Hopefully will get in the last race of the season. I hope that all is well with you and that you are getting some nice seat time in.

Jim
Old 09-03-2020, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Hi Jim, Have not been out much in 0012 (between heat and now smoke it sees short runs), but have been putting the miles on the other plastic car, that I'm happy to say it rolled over 200k. Stay Safe, Have Fun.

Mark
Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Last race of the year at Watkins Glen

Well, it's been a difficult race season, with the majority of races getting cancelled. I washable to get one last race weekend in at Watkins Glen this past weekend. It was with the Vintage Racers Group (VRG) and the Historic Racers Group (HRG). It was not optimum racing weather in upstate NY in October. It was cold and rainy at times, and then just plain cold. One morning there was frost and the temperature at the track was 26 degrees Fahrenheit. Had some electrical problems early, the car was running on 7 cylinders, and finally got that straightened out by switching some plug wires.

Had difficulty all weekend adjusting tire pressures to get good grip as the temperatures varied between the 30's and high forties with an occasional 50 degree burst. Let me tell you, running at 125 mph in an open car with just a small windscreen when the temps are in the forties is a little on the chilly side. Probably should have blocked off some of the radiator as well, as I could get the temps up on the grid, but they fell a lot on the track at speed, which had a negative impact on teeing performance.

In the feature race on Sunday, which was a memorial race for one of the SCCA Stewards who was integral in getting our small vintage racing group going (HRG) and had passed away earlier this year, I finished 7th overall and 5th in group. It was a nice clean race, which he would have ben proud of, as he would take you aside and have a discussion about any aggressive racing.

Our group ran pretty well, most cars the did not finish a race broke down without leaving oil or parts all over the track. Unfortunately that could not be said for some fo the other groups. We went out after a group of Formula Fords that had left oil all over the track and there was only one small lane at times that was not covered in speedi dry, which is slick as hell when it is just above freezing and the track was already wet to begin with.

Here is a video from one race, you may want to lower the volume as in addition to the wind noise from the car, there was a cross wind as well. During the feature race on Sunday we were battling a 20 mph wind in addition to 45 agree weather.

https://youtu.be/_3aDBqlDuOo

Time to start winterizing the car and planning for off season prep.

Jim
LoBelly, Mongoose930 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

interesting that many of the vintage racers in Europe run hardtops, in some series it's required, and the LeMans style tops have reported a 15mph increase in speed, might help with driver comfort in cold temps, and best of all, I just so happen to know of some one that makes the LeMans tops(wink,wink)
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Oh you rascal you.

John O

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
interesting that many of the vintage racers in Europe run hardtops, in some series it's required, and the LeMans style tops have reported a 15mph increase in speed, might help with driver comfort in cold temps, and best of all, I just so happen to know of some one that makes the LeMans tops(wink,wink)
Old 10-19-2020, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce View Post
Well how come you don't mention that when I saw you at Pit Race last year?

I know that the hardtop does increase the top end speed due to better aerodynamics but I like the open car look and beside, with the side protection that I had welded in it would be a real pain trying to squeeze in to the drivers seat, and even more difficult to ge out of quickly if needed. Right now I can quickly unbuckle the race harness and jump over the door to get out.

I have a friend who races a Formula Ford and he has to squeeze himself into it, in an emergency it would take him way too long to get out if he needs to.

Jim
Old 10-20-2020, 12:36 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Really nice "Smooth" session Jim Much, much better with hands on wheel ! still a touch "Lazy" on the downshift's, but quick on the up shifts. On cold days like this there's not much you can do about tire temps, but you can get your brake temps up, on your warm-up lap, drag your foot on the brake pedal 'A little". Besides it drive's the Drivers behind you crazy, the Cobra is pulling away from them, and brake lights are still ON Late braking into the first turn, is a GREAT SPOT, to pick up places Again, Proud of you my friend. "Go get them" Cheers TommyRot.

Last edited by Alfa02; 10-20-2020 at 12:55 AM..
Old 10-20-2020, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I did warm the brakes up on the pace lap, and they worked fr a while, but I still had some brake fade if there was too long of a gap between brake applications. The adrenaline kept me a little warm, but it was still friggin cold. I just calculated that the windchill on the back straight was 28 degrees F. My whole body was stiff and sore by the end of the sessions.
will work on quicker downshifts.

Looking forward to warmer weather racing next year.

Jim
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Jim too bad you cannot be convinced to come down to Georgia, I just finished a HSR event at Road Atlanta. Next up is a VDCA event followed by a SVRA race both at Road Atlanta. Sebring is my last event in December, hopefully the weather stays nice for these races.
SVRA just released their 2021 race schedule, more race venues have been added.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 10-20-2020, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One of these days Steven I will make it south. Going to check out the SVRA schedule for next year.

Jim
Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Jim here's HSR's 2021 calendar.

https://hsrrace.com/wp-content/uploa...t-Schedule.pdf

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 11-11-2020, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Time to prepare for next year

WE have been having great weather the past week in upstate NY; it was in the 70's for the whole week, unbelievable for this time of year.

So, I figured that it was time to start working on the cobra to get it ready for next year, which will hopefully will be better. Have to change all of the fluids, am going to upgrade the clutch and flywheel and refresh the engine since I had to pull it to get at the clutch. I could have waited another year to refresh the engine, but since it is such a pain to pull figured that I would get it done early. It's also cheaper to find something that amy need to be changed out before it breaks, then run the engine until it breaks.

My cousin was coming over, so I did some prep work to get everything ready. Car up on the stands and removed the seats and tunnel.

The second photo provides a better look at the brake cooling system that Dennis Olthoff fabricated and installed.

It took us about 5 hours to pull the transmission and then the engine. A lot of things that have to be removed and disconnected.

Here are some views of the lowering blocks that Dennis installed on the front and rear transverse leaf springs. They made a tremendous improvement in handling through the corners, the only costs to that adjustment are that I tend to bang the exhaust pipes on the curbing when I cut the apex tight, and I had to make some adjustments to the trailer as the pipes were hanging up.

Engine is ready to take to the engine builder for a tear down and evaluation, cleanup, tuning, new clutch, pressure plate and flywheel, new bearings, etc. All I have left to do with the engine is make a box to put it in. Then, I am going to go through the chases and check all bolts, nuts, change differential fluid and transmission fluid, and clean everything up. Lots of things to keep me busy before the snow flies.

Jim
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, BluePrint 427
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Jim and other contributors -- thanks for a great read. Read the thread from the start. Like a good book, one chapter draws you in and makes you want to read the next.
Best of luck to the active racers out there. Let's hope for a better racing season in 2021. Make us street drivers proud.

Dave -- still waiting for mine to be finished
1795 likes this.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
....am going to upgrade the clutch and flywheel and refresh the engine since I had to pull it to get at the clutch....
Jim, your flywheel and clutch requirements would be way different to mine, however I'm about to spec a flywheel, clutch and HTOB, so I'm interested in what you will be using. Your gearbox is a Toploader and so is mine so there's commonality there. So too with the Quicktime scattershield, but the only other 'hardpoint' is that I will probably need to use an HTOB because of tunnel size limitations.

Cheers!
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 11-30-2020 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 11-30-2020, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotoxide View Post
Jim and other contributors -- thanks for a great read. Read the thread from the start. Like a good book, one chapter draws you in and makes you want to read the next.
Best of luck to the active racers out there. Let's hope for a better racing season in 2021. Make us street drivers proud.

Dave -- still waiting for mine to be finished
Thanks fr the kudos, boy you must have a lot of time on your hands to read al of that! Would be nice to see some other racers out on the track in a cobra. Will try my best this year. have scheduled two so far, Watkins Glen in September and Mid Ohio in June.

Jim
Old 11-30-2020, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Jim, your flywheel and clutch requirements would be way different to mine, however I'm about to spec a flywheel, clutch and HTOB, so I'm interested in what you will be using. Your gearbox is a Toploader and so is mine so there's commonality there. So too with the Quicktime scattershield, but the only other 'hardpoint' is that I will probably need to use an HTOB because of tunnel size limitations.

Cheers!
Glen
Glen,

I decided on a Quarter Master street stock clutch, as they are good to 500 HP and I am at 424 HP. I really have no need to go to clutch rated for 1000 HP. It is a 10.4" steel flywheel, I chose that one over the aluminum as it was only 1 lb heavier than the aluminum and I felt like it would last longer and the weight difference was minimal. I also am using a HTOB, as there is very little room for a clutch arm and it would have required a lot of engineering to make one that would fit right, which means a lot of in and out with the engine and transmission. The Quarter Master one for you would be the 721 series.

The Top Loader is a limiting factor for clutches. Very few manufactures make a clutch for the Top Loader 1 1/16" input shaft with 10 spines. Most are for modern transmissions with twice as many splines. I could only find clutches from Quarter Master and Mc Leod that would fit a Top Loader. Tilton no longer makes a clutch that fits a 10 spline input shaft.

Let me now what you decide, or if you are able to find someone else who makes a clutch that would fit a Top Loader.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by 1795; 11-30-2020 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 11-30-2020, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

these guys might be able to help you out-https://fortwayneclutch.com/
Old 11-30-2020, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Nodular iron flywheels and pressure plates are a big no-no. They will stress crack very easily. Billet steel or aluminum is a racing standard.

All kinds of manufacturers make a clutch for Toploaders, they are easily found......McLeod and RAM have the two largest selections.
1795 likes this.

Last edited by blykins; 11-30-2020 at 05:26 AM..
Old 11-30-2020, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Nodular iron flywheels and pressure plates are a big no-no. They will stress crack very easily. Billet steel or aluminum is a racing standard.

All kinds of manufacturers make a clutch for Toploaders, they are easily found......McLeod and RAM have the two largest selections.
Brent,

My mistake, I just checked again with my order and the flywheel is steel. I was going to change it if possible to aluminum, as it is getting shipped today. I also still have the aluminum flywheel on the engine just n case. Thanks for all of your help.

Jim