Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Rear End Lube (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/138632-rear-end-lube.html)

Shootnride 06-16-2017 06:31 AM

Rear End Lube

Just have a question for the SPF owners here concerning changing the gear lube in the rear end. My car has the Ford 8.8 rear end, and of course, no drain plug, so the lube has to either be sucked out of the housing or the cover has to be removed. I would prefer to remove the cover because it not only will drain more completely, but it gives me a chance to inspect things. The question is, can the cast cover be removed by just removing the frame mounting bracket ? It looks like there may not be enough clearance between the cover and the frame for the cover to clear the ring gear. Has anyone here done it ?

Ted

Sawdust 06-17-2017 03:26 AM

Why not just drill and tap the bottom of your differential. Install a drain plug and your finished.

jacobsed 06-17-2017 05:03 AM

That is what I did. Super easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdust (Post 1424047)
Why not just drill and tap the bottom of your differential. Install a drain plug and your finished.

cycleguy55 06-17-2017 01:01 PM

Drilling and tapping the housing is probably the best long term solution - unless this is a one time event. Regardless, you shouldn't need to remove the rear cover to drain the housing - just unbolt it and pull it out far enough to drain the fluid. If you're planning on replacing the gasket, however, that will be a bit more challenging without removing the cover completely.

On a related note - gasket or RTV sealant?

Mark IV 06-17-2017 01:12 PM

RTV on a Ford 8.8"

cycleguy55 06-17-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1424076)
RTV on a Ford 8.8"

So, the two choices:
  1. Invest the time and energy to remove the rear cover, then re-seal it with RTV; or
  2. Drill and tap the housing for a drain plug.

I'm going with #2. Every time.

1795 06-17-2017 01:36 PM

So, wouldn't you want to remove the differential and rear cover prior to drilling and tapping for a drain plug? Seems to me that if you just drill it in place and tap it that you are taking the risk of potentially hitting the gears with the drill bit, and more than likely are risking leaving metal shavings in the differential from drilling and tapping. Am I missing something here?

It seems like the long term solution would be to remove, drill and tap, thereby making subsequent fluid changes easier.

vatdevil 06-17-2017 02:23 PM

Replace the weak factory cover with this, includes drain.

Ford Performance M-4033-G3: 8.8" Axle Girdle Cover Kit 1999-04 Mustang Cobra | JEGS

Shootnride 06-18-2017 06:26 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. My intention was to drill and tap the housing after removing the cover. I'm not really a fan of drilling into gear cases blind. I'm assuming from the responses that no one seems to know the answer to the question about whether or not the cover can be removed without turning this into a major project, ie; dropping the whole rear end out of the car. If that's what it takes, I will do it eventually, but just don't have the time right now.

Thanks again

Ted

jacobsed 06-19-2017 01:29 PM

I had no problems drilling and tapping. PM me for more info if you want.

Blas 06-19-2017 01:34 PM

From my note collection, cover it is not removable without removing the differential from the car. I seem to remember a conversation on SCOF
regarding this long ago, hence the birth of the drilling and tapping in place procedure.

jacobsed 06-19-2017 01:40 PM

Also, if you join SCOF there is a fantastic tech library for stuff just like this specifically for SPF's.

1985 CCX 06-19-2017 06:32 PM

Mountain gear lube and two Ford slip bottles.
Wear gloves as it stinks.

Shootnride 06-20-2017 06:46 AM

Blas, I kind of thought that might be the situation. Thanks for the reply.

jacobsed, I've done the drilling/tapping thing many times on various types of machinery. I just prefer not to do it blind if I can avoid it. I did look at some Youtube videos on the Ford 8.8 differential just to get an idea of the internal clearances where I would be drilling. Looks like there's plenty of room. Just have to make sure all of the chips get cleaned out.

Jeff, Ya, that Ford friction modifier is some nasty smelling stuff.

Thanks again for the replies gentlemen.

Ted

Blas 06-20-2017 12:09 PM

I read somewhere that if you remove one of the lower studs it becomes a drain.
Replace it with a bolt with sealant on the threads.... Hummmmmm... interesting?
I thought they used bolts not studs back there?
If there is no wires to it I get lost easily.....

Blas

RCSC 06-20-2017 01:16 PM

When I first saw the title to this thread, I thought I had wandered into the wrong forum!

Shootnride 06-21-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1424215)
I read somewhere that if you remove one of the lower studs it becomes a drain.
Replace it with a bolt with sealant on the threads.... Hummmmmm... interesting?
I thought they used bolts not studs back there?
If there is no wires to it I get lost easily.....

Blas

Ya, mine definitely has bolts and it doesn't look likely that removing one would act like a drain. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Thanks Blas.

Ted