Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Turn signal adjustment (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/141150-turn-signal-adjustment.html)

jeclarke 07-01-2018 11:51 AM

Turn signal adjustment

What’s the trick to keeping the turn signal adjusted properly? I take the wheel off and adjust the collar so it’s in the middle of the right and left turn “bumps”. Put it back together and it works perfectly for a few turns. Then it’s back the way it was. Left turn is fine. Right turn clicks off right away with the steering wheel straight ahead.

Thanks,
John 3174

KirkV 07-01-2018 11:53 AM

Hmmmm exactly opposite of mine, I will watch this thread

Mark IV 07-01-2018 12:54 PM

SPF Turn Signal Adjustment

jhv48 07-01-2018 04:15 PM

THanks, I just fixed mine.

rodneym 07-01-2018 05:21 PM

Pretty simple problem that 'all too many' Cobras have.
I can't say I remember a retaining ring.

PHMCobra 07-02-2018 08:12 AM

Does the SPF Turn Signal Adjustment procedure listed above by Mark IV work for late model Backdraft Cobras?

Mark IV 07-02-2018 08:27 AM

No idea, but they use the same VW signal switch so I would assume possibly. We also supply a quality VW reproduction switch for under $100.00

jeclarke 07-02-2018 01:49 PM

I’ve used that procedure twice and the adjustment is perfect for only a few turns. Then its back the way it was.

What keeps the collar centered once everything is back together? I have a coil spring on the column but not sure what it’s supposed to be doing.

rodneym 07-02-2018 01:57 PM

There should be a nub screw on the collar that clamps down on the steering shaft. Sometimes they slip.

Moto One 07-02-2018 02:06 PM

We have had the slipping leaver mechanism slipping from day one. The set screw will not hold and is as tight as it can be, and will not come out to replace. Will get it fixed someday.

jeclarke 07-02-2018 03:06 PM

The procedure that Mark IV references uses the term “turn signal cancel lug”. One can rotate this lug to get good turn signal cancelation in both directions. Mine apparently easily moves out of position during use. What is supposed to keep it in the desired orientation? Is it the coil spring?

rodneym 07-02-2018 06:04 PM

Take the steering wheel, cancelling collar and turn signal assembly off and you'll see marring on the steering shaft that the collar's set screw made.
Try drilling a little divot(?) in the steering shaft so the screw has a place to sit/grab and use some Lactate on the threads (of the collar).
Also, grease the fingers that pop out of the turn signal assembly (when you activate the lever) and the 'ears' of the collar.

CSX 4133 07-02-2018 06:43 PM

............."use some Lactate on the threads". I know what you meant though, Loctite. I imagine it might be hard to find a cooperative female. LOL !

jeclarke 07-02-2018 07:08 PM

Rodneym - thanks for the explanation. I’m away from the car for the week but will follow your instructions when i return.

rodneym 07-02-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX 4133 (Post 1447630)
............."use some Lactate on the threads". I know what you meant though, Loctite. I imagine it might be hard to find a cooperative female. LOL !

I corrected the damned spellcheck TWICE and it still got away from me! Lol

Andheeezonit 07-03-2018 11:49 AM

My set screw would not stay tight on the column. I drilled and tapped for a larger diameter set screw. Has not moved since.If my memory serves, there was a small piece of metal between the set screw and the column. I removed this and turned the screw directly against the column.