Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   2000 Superformance VIN info (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/142330-2000-superformance-vin-info.html)

Edelbroke 05-17-2019 04:24 PM

2000 Superformance VIN info

Could anyone give me any info on a car I have, It has a tag under the hood on the passenger side firewall the reads " Distributed by Superformance, INC. Cincinnatti, Ohio, USA. COBRA POWERED BY FORD Chassis # K1399AM1661
(My tag has the Cobra snake on the right hand portion of the tag.)

There is also a Illinois state affixed VIN tag above that that reads: SOS304346ILL
All I have for paperwork for the car is an Illinois salvage certificate that has "1974" next to the SOS304346ILL and "2000" next to the K1399AM1661 number. Both numbers are on the certificate.

As I read different posts on Superformance cars, I notice them referred to with a SPF XXXX. Is there any way to trace the history of my car based on the firewall tag? I have done a nationwide dmv search and that shows no hits.

Blas 05-17-2019 05:08 PM

The car in question is chassis #661 built in 1999. It may have been first titled later than 1999 due to shipping, drivetrain and showroom floor time. Superformance changed their VIN number layouts a few times over the years. Feel free to contact me directly via message or en
Mail with any other questions.
Blas

Alfa02 05-17-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1461867)
The car in question is chassis #661 built in 1999. It may have been first titled later than 1999 due to shipping, drivetrain and showroom floor time. Superformance changed their VIN number layouts a few times over the years. Feel free to contact me directly via message or en
Blas

Thank Blas :D, this is just the reason we belong to Club Cobra, without people like Blas, this gentleman could go month's even years without the info he needed. I have learned more about my car, plus getting the parts I needed to finish my car (one that hasn't been built in 20+years), just by asking here, 99% of the needed parts were just given to me, try that at the Porsche, Jag, Vette, etc. club sites. Cheers Tom.

Sawdust 05-18-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Blas

Blas
Would this SPF have the SPO chassis number stamped on the front cross member by the rad? I know mine does but I'm not sure about the older SPF's

Stu.

Edelbroke 05-18-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdust (Post 1461888)
Blas
Would this SPF have the SPO chassis number stamped on the front cross member by the rad? I know mine does but I'm not sure about the older SPF's

Stu.

Yes, it does have the number he posted stamped there. I forgot It was there.

ACademic 05-18-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edelbroke (Post 1461891)
Yes, it does have the number he posted stamped there. I forgot It was there.

You will also find the same number stamped in two other spots. One on the trunk brackets and the other is on the roll bar near the lowest mounting point in the cockpit near the trans tunnel. And if you’re really adventurous crawl under the passenger side of the dashboard and the early cars (which were built by two-man teams) will have the car build number handwritten in white paint marker pen (and also maybe the names of the two builders, too).

Blas 05-18-2019 03:47 PM

The chassis numbers are stamped in many places on the chassis. An easy place to look is under the carpet in the trunk on top of the cover plate for the fuel tank. Many times is is crayoned on the lid also on the sleeves for the convertible top and side curtains. Many time written on back side of dash too. I may have info on the car at home, I’m up a Road America / Elkhart Lake for the races this weekend. I check when I get home and report. And yes, the front crossmember is the main identification point permanently on the chassis. The firewall plate is attached with pop rivets.
Blas

Edelbroke 05-19-2019 04:38 PM

Today I also noticed the 661 number engraved into the inside of the doors (under the door panel area) and each door hinge is stamped either L661 or R661.

Sawdust 05-20-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edelbroke (Post 1461997)
Today I also noticed the 661 number engraved into the inside of the doors (under the door panel area) and each door hinge is stamped either L661 or R661.

Thanks for the info

Blas 05-21-2019 07:01 AM

Edelbroke, I sent you a personal message.... Blas

venomac 08-18-2020 07:05 AM

Quote:

Blas

mine has a chasis number of SW, have not seen it before, how is that identified?
thank you

Blas 08-18-2020 11:26 AM

If it’s a Superformance, my email is below. Send me a photo of the vin plate.
Blas

Blas 08-18-2020 03:53 PM

Ok venomac, The photo you sent me was clearly an add-on Shelby cobra plate. And since it was attached to a wood dash yours is definitely not a Superformance. You then followed up again with me and said the previous owner said it was a Factory 5..... Did I miss something ?
Blas

mrmustang 08-18-2020 05:10 PM

"SW" as a prefix comes from a PA state issued VIN and has nothing to do with the specific Cobra manufacturer.

Bill S.