Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Gas Pedal Sticking (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/144814-gas-pedal-sticking.html)

zzmac 05-12-2021 11:42 AM

Gas Pedal Sticking

I took the car out for the first time this year a couple of weeks ago. The gas pedal stuck when the RPMs were at about 3000 when I was coming up to a red light. I coasted to a stop and then it just slowly went back to normal. Ir happened closed to home and I haven't looked at it yet or driven it since.

Has anyone experienced this and what was needed to fix it? Just some lubrication?

NROTOXIN 05-12-2021 12:15 PM

You're sure the throttle was actually stuck? Have you popped the hood to check the mechanical function of the throttle? Look under the dash at the pedal function?

zzmac 05-12-2021 12:22 PM

I'm not sure it's the actual pedal. Could be anything from the pedal through the linkage to the carb I guess.

NROTOXIN 05-12-2021 12:33 PM

But your sure it was a "throttle sticking" where you lifted your foot and the pedal did not follow.....

patrickt 05-12-2021 12:48 PM

See if you can get it to stick in the garage by playing with it while the engine is off and cold. Remember that each time you move the throttle you're squirting a little gas out of the accelerator pump, so you might want to put a little towel under the squirter so you don't have a puddle of gas on the butterflies that leak that then leaks out of the shaft and makes you think you have a gas leak.;) You can disconnect your return springs and then manually, with your hand, move the linkage coming out of the foot box to see if you can spot the sticking point. What you really want to watch for is a piece of the linkage coming loose, or getting out of whack, that will cause a lockup regardless of how well it's lubricated. It's probably just sticky goo somewhere along the mechanical connections between the throttle pedal under your foot and the linkage on the side of the carb, but you've got to find it and fix it. This is not a problem to put off until another day.:cool:

Randy Rosenberg 05-12-2021 01:41 PM

Besides checking the linkage, also check to be sure the floor mat didn't creep under/over pedal... And be sure you are using two return springs (usually one inside the other).

patrickt 05-12-2021 02:29 PM

After zzmac has done everything else to get his carb perfect, he can tackle the springs, which we recently discussed in this thread. http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-t...her-combo.html Basically, you want to have your two springs on opposite sides of the throttle shaft pivot point. Each spring pulls in the opposite direction of the other spring. And these are not hardware store springs that you put on your screen door. They are PAC Racing springs and neither spring has a point of failure in common with the other. This really does make the throttle feel right, and it's safer too. If one spring breaks, you'll notice your throttle pedal feels different, but it will still be safe to drive home. If you're going to do it, you might as well do it right. Especially when it only costs you about ten dollars more. For some reason, a single spring on a carb always breaks when you're at WOT, never when you're idling in the driveway or staring at it in the garage.:eek:

http://38.134.118.239/returnsprings2001.jpg

zzmac 05-12-2021 10:57 PM

I have the double springs. I'll post a pic later.

zzmac 05-12-2021 11:11 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are awesome, as usual. :-)

zzmac 05-13-2021 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my spring setup. How does it look?

Attachment 36123

patrickt 05-13-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzmac (Post 1492821)
Here's a pic of my spring setup. How does it look?

If that thing that it's hooked on to over on the left is nice and sturdy then I'd leave it alone. You've got other fish to fry at the moment.:cool:

zzmac 06-19-2021 08:19 AM

Some lubrication fixed this.