Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default lost gas cap key

anyone else go throught his problem well i bought the car and guy didnt give me the gas cap key, i called him and he said only keys he had are the ones he gave me, so now i ask this what did you do to get a new key? drill out the lock to remove, call locksmith if so was he able to make you a new key?, how much is it to replace the locking cap?

one issue after another
Old 10-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Two Ways

If it's the type that spins around without catching when the key is not in it you can spritz it with water then dump a little liquid freon on it to freeze it up. It will then twist off as if the key was in place. If it's not the "free spinning" type of lock then you can generally ram a screwdriver in to the key hole and twist hard and remove the cap.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     

You can get a replacement from Hillbank for $32.10. Here's a link:
http://www.hillbankmotorsports.com/p...ucts_id=130529

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

A friend purchased a locking cap from Finishline. His key also opened my cap. So perhaps if you are a LUCKY GUY Test a key from a fellow SPF owner in your area...

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 10-25-2008, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I would suggest not "Punching it", a spark could cause a potential fire. Maybe remove the screws or the nuts on the back side, that attach the neck to the body and remove the hose clamp from within the trunk THEN get physical with the cap.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 10-26-2008, 04:37 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Try someone's key that has the same cap you do. They are cheap locks and most are the same key.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

How the heck did the original owner drive the car without a gas cap key? Did he keep his total driving below 50 miles?

My SPF was supplied with two complete sets of keys. On the gas cap key, there is a number stamped in the middle. Mine has 3 digits. If you can find out what number of the key is required, I'm sure someone could make you a duplicate for a few bucks, as compared to the $32 from Hillbank.

Last edited by wtm442; 10-26-2008 at 05:43 AM..
Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I spent 15 years in the banking business. From time to time we would have to repo cars. Some would have these locking caps on them.

We simply took a large pair of channel locks and opened them like you would a coke bottle.

On the cobra you need to make sure the La-Mons cap is secure when you do this so you do not break the glass on the car. The really come off very easily.

Usually what happens is the black plastic spinner comes off then the inner piece just screws right out.

Works great, just be carefull with the fiberglass.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have not received keys with one of my Backdraft's. I took a medium size of screwdriver and popped off the gas cap. No Damage to either part. Take your time and don't force it too much. It will pop out.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 10-26-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

A good locksmith can make you a key for about $10--I lost a set of keys to my truck with the only gas cap lock key on the ring--took the truck to his shop and he made me a key in about 15 minutes. They are not expensive locks rather like the locks on tool boxes etc.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

well i tried the channel locks and no luck they wont fit in there to grab and trist it off so i jamed a flat head screw driver in it and twisted it out came out no problem now im off to find a replacement at the local auto parts store

thanks for the help guys

Last edited by cobras; 10-26-2008 at 10:52 AM..
Old 10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobras View Post
... I jammed a flat head screw driver in it and twisted it out came out no problem...
No sparks resulting in a Cobra flombet?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Mine never seemed to work correctly, even when it was new from SPF. The key would "lock" the tabs on the cap, but it could still be twisted off by hand. Has anyone else had problems with theirs, and if so, how did you fix it?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Steve, that only works on the "twisty" caps. You crush the outer metal into the inner metal and then unscrew the cap. Good suggestion though, that method has worked for me in the past.

I think Rick has the same idea I would run with. Unbolt the thing from the car and then go at it.

Metal to metal may spark and that would not be good.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hello

Yes, you can call the locksmith to break this lock.

Carlsbad locksmith
Old 09-07-2011, 07:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2008 Shelby GT500
Not Ranked     

By chace have you looked in the glove compartment, door pockets, trunk, under the seats? Seems like it should be there. If not, locksmith route. Don't want to be drilling over a gas tank with all of the fumes.

FIA Mike
Old 09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobras View Post
well i tried the channel locks and no luck they wont fit in there to grab and trist it off so i jamed a flat head screw driver in it and twisted it out came out no problem now im off to find a replacement at the local auto parts store thanks for the help guys
Uhh, guys... see post #11 above. He's all set...

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default hi

Yes, you can call the locksmith to break this lock.

locksmith Orleans

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: