Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Superformance (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/)
-   -   Webers on your FE powered Superfromance in here! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/superformance/93134-webers-your-fe-powered-superfromance-here.html)

Great Asp 11-18-2008 06:23 PM

Webers on your FE powered Superformance in here!

Guys, is there anyone here that owns a Superformance AND has an FE motor with Webers?

I am interested in your hood clearance, and air filter selection.

Eric

Spoooky 11-18-2008 07:09 PM

I had to got to a 2" K&N filter. The 3" hit the hood. Clears by about 1/2". Check out my gallery. Works fine.

garry viohl 11-18-2008 07:10 PM

Yup 428fe with stellings and k and n filter plenty of clearance

csx4910 11-18-2008 09:17 PM

I could only hope for ANY air cleaner to fit the same engine in my CSX. No One seems to care about getting one to fit my car. I have seen several Fuel injected motors in a superformance with the K&N filters like spooky has.

RedBarchetta 11-19-2008 07:19 AM

:LOL: He specifically said "Webers", folks... :LOL:**)

Great Asp 11-19-2008 06:03 PM

I am guessing no one has webers (48 IDA's) on an FE in a Superformance.

I thought I'd have a rare car, but maybe a one of a kind...:D

E

TerrysSPF 11-19-2008 06:34 PM

Eric- I know 2 guys with Webers in a SPF, One is on a SB though, but the other is on a Shelby alum block 482. I'll see if I can contact the guy with the 482 and ask him to measure clearance and find out what filters he uses (I've never seen filters on it actually, just those little toppers with the holes!).

Great Asp 11-20-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrysSPF (Post 899270)
Eric- I know 2 guys with Webers in a SPF, One is on a SB though, but the other is on a Shelby alum block 482. I'll see if I can contact the guy with the 482 and ask him to measure clearance and find out what filters he uses (I've never seen filters on it actually, just those little toppers with the holes!).

Thanks Terry!

That would be a help, for sure.

Eric

TerrysSPF 11-21-2008 09:31 AM

Eric- Well, I finally go an email back from the guy and he said....."Filters? You don't need no stinkin' filters!!!"
Like I said earlier, the only times I've seen his engine he simply has the alum tops (screens) on the stacks (with the holes). -Don't know what they're "official" name is called. He said that every time you go from the screens to filters you have to re-tune the engine and it's a PITA (which is why he doesn't change it).
And as for measuring clearance he said......."How do I measure the clearance? When the hood is closed, I can't get in there to measure! All I know is, the hood closes and doesn't rub when I'm driving. That's all I care about!":rolleyes:

-Sorry.........not much help.:(

RodKnock 11-21-2008 09:36 AM

Playdoh is often used to measure hood clearance when it the hood is closed. You friend must not have any little kids running around the house. :LOL:

TerrysSPF 11-21-2008 09:43 AM

No.....................he's just a smart a$$!:mad:

I was going to email him back with suggestions on how to measure, but I was afraid of the response I would get.
Instead, I sent him a message saying, "Thanks for all your help and advice.....a-hole!"
He sent me back a pic of a smiley face giving me the finger.:rolleyes:

-It's just his way.:o

Great Asp 11-21-2008 11:35 AM

Terry,

Thanks for the effort (I really mean it :))

I am going to see what will work, as I would feel better about not sucking small rocks and bugs into my engine.

But at the end of the day I might have to run "naked".:eek:

:3DSMILE:

E

Terry Brown 11-21-2008 05:37 PM

K&Ns on a 427 SB. SPF with the older non-raised hood. Tried them all--this was the best air cleaner I found!!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/IMG_0817.JPG

Fordzilla 11-21-2008 05:47 PM

Terry, Nice looking set-up!!

Great Asp 11-21-2008 06:03 PM

Terry,

Love your set-up, and it is what I am shooting for.

I might have trouble with the FE and hood clearance, so I ordered (2) filters like yours from RT, and two short 1" trumpets from DynaTek to try down at KCM.

I will be posting the results on my build thread.

Thanks again! :D

E

Terry Brown 11-22-2008 08:18 AM

To get the necessary hood clearance I had to go to a 1 1/2" tall velocity stack. ALSO, the stacks are 3 1/4" wide to get a tighter fit for the filters. No apparent difference in tuning. GOOD LUCK!

Great Asp 11-22-2008 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Brown (Post 899772)
To get the necessary hood clearance I had to go to a 1 1/2" tall velocity stack. ALSO, the stacks are 3 1/4" wide to get a tighter fit for the filters. No apparent difference in tuning. GOOD LUCK!

Terry,

The shorter stacks "should" lean out the system a bit, but I'll have to see.

Thanks again for the help!

E

cdog 11-28-2008 10:54 AM

If you are doing limited driving in the car, maybe you don't need filters. If it's a '500-1,000 miles per year' car, just run the Webers and screens. By the time dirt particulates entering the horns actually accumulate enough to force a rebuild, you'll be long dead.

Based on what I've seen, there are MANY engine components that will fail long before the dirt causes an issue, especially in a high HP side-oiler. This assumes you don't live down a 10 mile dusty country lane...

PANAVIA 12-01-2008 03:24 AM

We used to use an Empty Cigarette pack to measure hood clearance, of you could close the hood and not hear the cellophane crinkle --it was all good.

of course now that nobody smokes anymore , not sure what to use.

Great Asp 12-01-2008 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PANAVIA (Post 901786)
We used to use an Empty Cigarette pack to measure hood clearance, of you could close the hood and not hear the cellophane crinkle --it was all good.

of course now that nobody smokes anymore , not sure what to use.

Oh they smoke, "they" are banned to smoke where no one sees or smells them. :p

We are still working on this issue, and I am hoping this will ultimatly be a helpful thread for others who want webers/FE motor/Superformance.

Thanks for the post! :3DSMILE:

E