Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tech Tips (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/)
-   -   Jaguar Rear Caliper Rebuild Advice (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/114528-jaguar-rear-caliper-rebuild-advice.html)

PGC1877 02-24-2012 10:23 AM

Jaguar Rear Caliper Rebuild Advice

I am helping out a friend get his early Contemporary Classic 427SC back on the road. The brakes are the last item that need doing. The early XKE inboard rear calipers are both frozen up. Where would I get them rebuilt or buy replacements?

bill37341 02-24-2012 12:05 PM

Apple Hydraulics in Calverton,N.Y. can rebuild them. Also, I used a Wilwood caliper on mine. You need to make a simple bracket to install them. (My rear end is out of a 3.8S and the brakes on this one are a little different from some of the early E-types.) The calipers were Dynapro 120-9687. Only cost about $105 each.I will try to load a picture for you. Bill.

joyridin' 02-24-2012 02:35 PM

I'm curious to see the picture also. How did you handle the e-brake?

bill37341 02-24-2012 03:08 PM

I had to use a line-lock from Speedway. Put in the line with my Prop valve on the left side.

mickmate 02-24-2012 07:00 PM

Welsh Enterprises - New Jaguar Parts, Used Jaguar Parts and Accessories - XK120 - XK140 - XK150 - E-Type - MK - XJ6 - XJ8 - XJ - XK8 - XK - XJS - S-Type - X-Type - XF
SNG Barratt - USA | Parts | Brake Caliper LHR

joyridin' 02-25-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill37341 (Post 1177797)
I had to use a line-lock from Speedway. Put in the line with my Prop valve on the left side.

Thanks for the info. Were you able to get a picture uploaded? I wouldn't mind removing the old Jag calipers off my car. They work fine, but they are a pain in the tight area.

dwathencars 02-25-2012 04:30 PM

Jaguar rear caliper rebuild

The original Dunlop calipers work fine once they are rebuilt. My wife and I have put many miles on various Etypes over the years. Much more than the Cobra anyway. I've settled on having calipers resleeved to standard size with stainless steel by Apple or Whie Post. They can supply new pistons if needed. Then be sure to bleed at least annually to keep moisture out.

That said, newer calipers like wildwood and vented grooved discs are a good upgrade. Dave