Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tech Tips (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/)
-   -   Won't start -Need help (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/145858-wont-start-need-help.html)

cdbrooke 04-22-2022 05:37 PM

Won't start -Need help

Need help.
Won't start sometimes. 2011 Backdraft 4.6L 3v Roush motor with supercharge.
Fuel pump initiates with key in the on position, clicking noise as start button is pressed (solenoid sounds like it is working), but motor won't turn over.
I replaced both battery and starter motor. Alternator works fine.
Mechanic thought it might be an excess heat problem with starter or kill switch (location).
Does anyone have any ideas. I can't believe this is the only Backdraft with an excess heat problem that affects starting the motor. If I go anywhere I cannot shut the motor off; might not start again.
Thank you for any assistance.

Tommy 04-22-2022 06:45 PM

The next thing to check is all the battery cables at both ends. And make sure the cable lugs are securely fastened to the cables.

Laughing_Jakal 04-22-2022 07:58 PM

Relay? Fuse?

Is there a starting relay or fuse inline?

FlyingGumby 04-22-2022 10:48 PM

Check all battery cables and grounds as stated. Check connections at the battery cutoff switch too and make sure it the switch actually works.

I've had several switches go bad (ignition switch, manual fan switch) in my 2010 build. By go bad I mean they work intermittently which makes it hard to diagnose.

6TNCRZY 04-23-2022 09:47 AM

Make sure you have a ground cable chassis to engine.

Tommy 04-23-2022 02:46 PM

I don't know how the Backdraft is wired. On my Cheetah, the positive cable from the battery goes directly to the lug on the starter. A smaller cable goes from there to a buss that connects to the alternator and provides power for the rest of the car. . . . The negative cable goes directly from the battery to one of the bolts that secure the starter to the engine block. A ground cable goes from there to the chassis. The main battery cables were sized based on their length. My battery is in the front so the cables were only about three feet long. . . . My point is that I made sure the starter has access to as much battery power as possible.

Ozzie Goat 04-23-2022 03:12 PM

On my Backdraft, been there twice (jumpers are your friend)
bypassed dash kill-switch once - started
bypassed the ignition key on another occasion - started

(but always start by checking the grounds)

HighPlainsDrifter 04-26-2022 09:21 PM

push button

Hi,
If it clicks there is not enough current going to starter. You have checked everything else so now replace the push to start button as the contacts are most likely burnt out.
Perry:MECOOL: