Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tech Tips (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/)
-   -   I have no idea where my rear calipers came from and can't find the mounting brackets. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tech-tips/95351-i-have-no-idea-where-my-rear-calipers-came-cant-find-mounting-brackets.html)

commercialcobb 03-09-2009 08:44 PM

I have no idea where my rear calipers came from and can't find the mounting brackets.

2 Attachment(s)
The guys at the shop and myself are at ends :confused: on what model Ford these rear calipers came from. We cannot find the original mounting brackets so we don't know what part we need without knowing what these calipers are.. I have run the US Patent 4,499,977 and found this page http://www.google.com/patents?id=GKM...BAJ&dq=4499977
which gives a year the patent was granted to the Austrailian company but it gives no specific make or model.. I need someone that can identify these calipers and set me in the right direction.. Thanks for any and all help. The Cobra is running and ready to go but without these brackets that are missing,:CRY: it's not going far..

commercialcobb 03-12-2009 08:47 AM

I need to know if someone can identify these calipers or tell me where I can post this thread that some can?

mrmustang 03-12-2009 09:01 AM

First off who's kit is this?

Second, can you read the number and letters for us as it is difficult to read in the picture.

Do it line for line as it is from top to bottom on the caliper.

Bill S.

COBRAGAR 03-12-2009 09:17 AM

Brackets

Try to take your brake pads to a napa store .hopefully the guy behind the counter wants to help . Locate the brake pads on there illustration books and go from there.hope this helps

Three Peaks 03-12-2009 09:57 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could swear from your first picture that the mounting brackets are already installed on the axle?
Do you have the rotors? Put the rotors on and hold the calipers up to the existing brackets and see if they line up. If not, a bracket can usually be fabbed up pretty quickly out of 3/8" steel plate, a drill press, and a good welder.....

Bob

MFE III 03-12-2009 10:06 AM

A little off subject, but from your first pic it sure looks like you have very little room for upward suspension travel. You should consider new coil overs with longer springs.
Just my $.02.
Matt

trularin 03-12-2009 10:35 AM

They may be ford parts, mustang II. The patent app. says they belong to Girlock. No telling if they were a supplier to any one car company.

Just my guess.

More pictures would be helpful.

:D :D

mickmate 03-12-2009 11:14 AM

C4 Corvette calipers.

commercialcobb 03-12-2009 06:04 PM

First off, its a Shell Valley 91' build, the motor head rebuilding the car says he think their off of a late 80's mustang, fairline, or maybe a Lincoln. I have had no luck finding matching calipers in junk yards or the internet. The bracket you see on the rear end does not line up with the caliper and fabbing a bracket that goes over the disc (which we don't have either) would be near impossible without knowing how big a disc and what the offset is. The numbers on the caliper are as follows:
US Patents
No 4,261,466
No 4,499,977
Made in
Australia
K241-1220

I am not in front of the calipers at this time but this is what I can get from the pic and I how what I am reading is right..

Please help because we are ready to break this motor in and get this thing flying down the road.. Thanks for any help guys.

mickmate 03-12-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

C4 Corvette calipers
That's 1984-1995 Corvette, that's made by a little company called Chevrolet...........

767Jockey 03-12-2009 09:19 PM

I had an '86 Vette once (sorry......:o) and if memory serves me right those calipers look really familiar.......

G_Edmonds 03-12-2009 09:48 PM

I agree. They look live corvette calipers to me. When I was researching for my rear brake conversion there were kits that used corvette calipers. unfortunately I can't remember who's kits. You might try ECI though.
Good luck.
Greg

commercialcobb 03-12-2009 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
C4 Corvette calipers... These do look like a dead on match.. Good call gents... Thanks for the help.

LMH 03-12-2009 11:01 PM

Didn't PBR make those?
Maybe not but I thought so.
Larry

mickmate 03-13-2009 04:24 AM

Yes they're PBR made for Aussie and American GM's. There are a few different rotor diameters and offsets available for them. Do you know how to measure them?

commercialcobb 03-13-2009 05:53 AM

I do not.. I was just looking for the same caliper on a car at a junk yard and was going to take the bracket and rotor.. How would I determine what the size and offset is then how would I know exactly what C4 model this came off of? This is going to prove difficult I bet..

Rick Parker 03-13-2009 07:07 AM

Damn foreign cars............

mickmate 03-13-2009 06:23 PM

What rear end and bolt circle do you have?