28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby
Not Ranked     

I have no doubt what you've seen, but before I buy this car I have to be 100% sure not only that I can register it but how to go about doing it.

More power to you if you have $70,000 you can afford to lose if you buy a car that you can't register. Maybe I do worry too much, but I'm going to know exactly what I have to do to register this car before I spend the money on it. To make matters worse, I'm supposed to pick the car up when I go through Arizona in 8 days so I have to know what and how to do it in the next couple of days.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
x2. Process will be to get the car in your possession, get it insured by a specialty insurer as a 1965/1966 and then take that insurance card ONLY to an inspection station of your choosing and ask for a $14.50 SAFETY inspection. If you have your swagger going and choose the right place (I like Firestone's and Jiffy Lubes, where they have been sued to the edge of the solar system for wrecking customer cars) you will tell them YOU will drive THEM for the brake check, for they will fear the alternative. They will give you the safety receipt and with it, your Cali title and your signed bill of sale you'll head off the the local Travis County Tax Assessor Office where you will apply for a title and receive your license plates. You will pay sales tax on your transaction at 6.25% and you'll spend another $100 or so getting plates. Then you will go out on 1431 and put it through its paces.

Giddy up.

CSX4350...

What Sssammy and Elmariachi describe is the law of the land and what most of us have experienced in recent memory. The key is insuring it as a 65 Daytona first of all.

While your situation of buying an already titled car is different from my Hurricane, I suggest you PM Elmariachi and arrange a conversation via telephone. If my recollection is not too foggy, I believe his car was titled out of state as something else and he successfully navigated the same process you are hoping for.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

It is easy in TX. On one of my previous Cobras, I took a picture of it to the county tax office. They needed a pencil impression of the VIN. Since it did not have a VIN I penciled over the VIN of the Cobra I was selling and changed one digit. That is now the legal VIN. Got my green inspection form, took it to Jiffy Lube and drove the inspector 60 feet and stopped. Got the inspection done, paid 50.00 sales tax (since the car was so "cheap") and another 60 bucks for registration fee. Off I went.

Is Texas a great country or what?
Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Somehow what you did I suspect is highly illegal, and if so, you have now broadcast it for everyone to see including the TX DMV. You can't just make up a VIN by changing one digit of another car you own. Regardless, getting around the system is one thing, getting it into the public realm of what you did is quite another. Please be aware that this is potentially a big can of worms that can be opened if someone with the right authority wants to start looking into the past titling/registration of all vehicles that smell "Cobra".
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Not to get involved in the arguments about titling a car in Texas as I know nothing about that. Just to explain the difference is SB-100 and Sb-1578.

SB-100 is for newly built cars only that are not built for resale, and there was no way for anyone buying a used car out of state to title it legally here under SB-100 as it was a completed car or turn key. Also it seems that almost every California DMV has different rules that they use, though SB-100 is plainly written out and the DMVs have a memo telling them step by step how to do this. So they Added SB-1578 which uses the same 500 numbers per year that SB-100 uses, but made it legal to title a used and completed vehicle here. Some people will claim you can buy a turn key car here and register it under the SB-100 number for its first registration and they are breaking the law. I know of two people right here in this small town that did that and within 2 months they had their titles pulled.

Listen to the guys in Texas that have gone through the process and you should be ok. Forget all about the California registration.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby Cobra View Post
Somehow what you did I suspect is highly illegal, and if so, you have now broadcast it for everyone to see including the TX DMV. You can't just make up a VIN by changing one digit of another car you own. Regardless, getting around the system is one thing, getting it into the public realm of what you did is quite another. Please be aware that this is potentially a big can of worms that can be opened if someone with the right authority wants to start looking into the past titling/registration of all vehicles that smell "Cobra".
John :
Old 03-04-2012, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
the sb-100 number only smog exempts the car for as long as the original owner owns the car....it has nothing to do with the vin#.....you can license a car without the sb-100 but it must pass all the smog requirements....
I think you may be mistaken here. I bought my used SPF last Sept from Hillbank, in Irvine. It had the SB 100 from the original owner. Took the bill of sale to DMV and they reregistered it right over, no questions asked or problems. Told me the SB 100 was for the life of the car, as the number was assigned to the car, and had nothing to do with the owner.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby Cobra View Post
Church Lady! I am prepared to use my favorite law firm whose motto is "We Always Win". Of course they have a disclaimer that says their motto and the word "we" does not necessarily refer to their current, past or future clients, and any similarities between winning and their clients is unintentional and purely coincidental.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, it is amazing how much bad vibe there is on this thread.

The question has been answered correctly by Gary.

If in doubt call the DMV office. You will need insurance first. If I remember correctly I had to get mine inspected first as well. Both were very simple.

Must Sell Right Now

Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby
Not Ranked     

I spoke to elmariachi on the phone, and he talked me through the process. Then today I went to my local tag office to talk to them about the recent changes in the laws. They were actually pretty well up on the change in the laws, I was surprised. Anyway, it seems that TXDoT hasn't finalized the new procedures yet, on Feb 7 they issued a memo saying it would be finalized in March. So, I'll probably get it insured and get a temp tag from the tag office until the new procedures go into effect, which will hopefully allow me to register the car as an antique and not have to get it inspected after this year. Thanks to those who gave helpful answers.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, when you are accused of doing something highly illegal and you've done nothing at all illegal, you are better off not letting those types of comments stay unanswered.

My mfr. created VINS in sequential numbers. He was behind in assigning me a VIN, so I asked him if I could change a digit to a number that he would agree not to use again. Or I could pay the State of Texas the required $2.00 fee and they would assign one to me. Actually there is a way in Texas to register a vehicle legally without a VIN.

So folks who jump on here with post #3 accusing people of doing highly illegal things need to go back to spying on their neighbors to make sure their trash legally separates recyclables to the right bin.

Last edited by jdean; 03-05-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean View Post
Steve, when you are accused of doing something highly illegal and you've done nothing at all illegal, you are better off not letting those types of comments stay unanswered.

My mfr. created VINS in sequential numbers. He was behind in assigning me a VIN, so I asked him if I could change a digit to a number that he would agree not to use again. Or I could pay the State of Texas the required $2.00 fee and they would assign one to me. Actually there is a way in Texas to register a vehicle legally without a VIN.

So folks who jump on here with post #3 accusing people of doing highly illegal things need to go back to spying on their neighbors to make sure their trash legally separates recyclables to the right bin.
Yea, I suppose your right. The process is really easy to do and stay legal at the same time. But it is better to ask if you don't know.

It seems you get an argument on just about any subject here anymore and that's to bad.

Must Sell Right Now

Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LOL

Anyone remember the Titles Unlimited fiasco?

Must Sell Right Now