Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Another Trailer Question? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/114671-another-trailer-question.html)

gsharapa 03-06-2012 07:42 PM

Another Trailer Question?

For those of you with a 20-22 ft enclosed trailer, do you have 3,500 or 5,200 lb axles? Does 5,200 axles tow better or is that over kill for a light cobra?

elmariachi 03-06-2012 08:12 PM

Gary, I bought 3500's on my Cargo Craft from John Jr., knowing that I'd never load it down with more than about a 4k car anyway. You probably already know this but what is more important is to get torsion axles versus leaf springs. With the 2700 lb Cobra and my gear my Tundra would pull it at 120mph with the cruise on if I let it, and it is smooth as glass.

Tim Brewer 03-06-2012 08:18 PM

Overkill... You trailer should be a tandom, so with standard 3500# axels that's 7000# capacity. 5200 or 3500# axels won't make any difference on how it tows, it's how the weight is distributed on the trailer.

gsharapa 03-06-2012 08:39 PM

I know alot about Cobras but not much about trailers. Didn't even know about torsion axles as I thought they all were leaf springs. Guess I need to do my home work a bit more. :confused:

4RE KLR 03-07-2012 11:05 AM

Gary,
Mine had 3,500 lb axles. I wish that I would have purchased the 5200 ones.

Yes the 3500 will work for the cobra very well and if you never - ever plan to haul anything heavier that will work great.

I think that the 5200 would have worked better and there may have been less 'bounce' in the trailer with the car inside. No it wasn't earth shaking bounce but it was noticeable. As you know our roads nowadays are not smooth. I think the 5200 would work better for that reason alone. I also think - know - it will help on the resale should you decide to sell later on.

Also remember mine was a 24' and was one foot taller than most. So it was heavier than most other trailers.

Must Sell Right Now

gsharapa 03-07-2012 02:21 PM

Thanks Steve. I'm coming to the conclusion 5,200 lbs would be better and although I wanted a 20 or 22 everyone suggest you should do a 24 as resale is much better down the road. Still need to think about that.

elmariachi 03-07-2012 02:24 PM

Gary, what is your tow vehicle?

ERA 778 03-07-2012 04:45 PM

Could someone explain the difference in performance between the leaf spring and torsion spring axles? I've seen this statement before that the torsions are better, but I just don't understand why.

Thanks,

elmariachi 03-07-2012 05:24 PM

Torsions are essentially like independent rear suspension. Each of the wheels can move up and down on their own without affecting the other wheel. With torsions, the spring action and cushioning happens behind the spindle and in the end of the axle and is less likely to be transmitted up into the frame assembly. On the other hand with sprung axles, the spring is attached to the frame and so every bump you hit gets transmitted directly into the frame and entire trailer. Torsions can also allow for a lower ride height, which lowers the center of gravity for the trailer but more importantly can make the approach for a Cobra shallower and much less likely to conflict with the door hinge area.

gsharapa 03-07-2012 08:26 PM

Usually have a F250 at my disposal to tow and have one for San Marcos but the rest of the year will probably be F150 Crew Cab or Flex available.........Bid on a Featherlite 20 today on Ebay that was in Oklahoma but stopped at $ 10,600 and it sold for $ 11,100. Was pretty nice aluminum trailer. See some nice trailers for sale but all seem to be in Indiana, Georgia or Florida....No rush as I have one lined up for San Marcos at the end of the month and maybe I'll cool off on buying one after that. Always was an impulse buyer..... :LOL:

standard 03-08-2012 08:16 AM

Gary
Here is a place I have looked. Called RacingJunk. Lots to choose from.
Towing/Trailers For Sale

Doug

PurpleVenom 03-08-2012 01:38 PM

Gary, I bought a 20' v-nose trailer. I really like the v-nose in that it gives you an 'extra' 3' in the front. I use the v-part for my tool boxes, slicks and other equipment. Now, on the axles, I'm not sure that is as important as having drop axles and a dovetail. Mine has the 5200# axles, but sits higher. This makes the deck higher causing the rear gate to have more of a slope to it. This may not be a problem on some cars, but was on my Factory Five as well as STL Mark's Superformance. I ended up buying some race ramps to compensate and raise the gate to clear the hinge area of the gate. If you have drop axles and a dovetail, this makes the clearance issue a moot point.

Having said that, I've now 'converted' my Roadster hauler in to a camping trailer (minus the bathroom) by adding a rooftop AC unit w/heater, insulating the walls/ceiling and adding electric hookup so I can park at RV campgrounds. In the end, this trailer ends up weighing a hefty 3500#'s (estimated) and with the car in it, about 6700. So, I felt the heavier axles were needed.

Ditto on the torsion axles, makes the ride much better in the trailer. Often, I've left things unstrapped without anything moving in the trailer.

Will have mine at San Marcos - look me up, Gold F250 and Purple Roadster

HTH,
Tim

rbickle 03-14-2012 05:43 PM

Car hauler

I bought a 24' trailer a few months ago to haul the cobra. I got the 5200 lb axles because I may end up using it to haul something heavier someday and if I ever sell it, it will be worth more with the heavier axles.

I was tempted to get the V-nose, but for the extra money, I figured I could build an air splitter on the nose. I bought the trailer with just the plain plywood interior and then painted the interior white and laid some nice rubber down on the floor. I put E-Track along the walls to strap down just about anything. Turned out pretty nice. It will be down in San Marcos.

I paid about $6500 for the trailer new.

Rick

gsharapa 03-14-2012 07:38 PM

Rick,

Who was the manufacturer of you new trailer?

Bill Bess 03-15-2012 05:39 AM

Okay, here's my two cents regarding tow trailers.
Heavy axles are always better than lighter axles. The heavier axles will be equipped with heavy corresponding springs as compared to a lighter axes and lighter springs on a lighter trailer.
Most trailers have shocks or torsion suspension systems, or both, the better quality trailer is money well spent. If your on a tight budget..go get a big Tex tandom, it will do the job. Open trailers can be lighter, ....enclosed go HD and be happy and safe.
Best of luck, Bill

rbickle 03-18-2012 10:53 PM

Trailer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsharapa (Post 1181010)
Rick,

Who was the manufacturer of you new trailer?

It's a cargo craft "dragster" model.
Bought it from R&J trailers here:

R & J Trailers, Inc. - Cargo Craftİ Trailers

Rick

Silversmith 03-22-2012 08:04 PM

Haulmark 20'

I have a 2009 20' Haulmark w/5200 lbs. torsion/tandom's & 8 ply 15's. A 10k lbs. 12V wench, w/ 100' cable. Mounted @ interior front. All the bells & whistle's. I Haul it with a 95 F250 TD 7.3L It hauls like a dream & 19 mpg to boot :D Plenty big enough for my bike, cobra & required equipment for the trip @ hand. It listed for over 12K new. I bought last yr for 4k :)