Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Texas ASVE Title and the VTR-63 Form? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/131907-texas-asve-title-vtr-63-form.html)

BDR0572 06-04-2015 09:16 AM

Don't Know if this will help but I went too a FORD Dealer with GT certification from ford for my title for my BDR, seem to go fairly easy with all Ford motor co inspection papers . ask DMV if that Qualifies, they may have what they are asking for in ASE Cert's . did mine in FEB. And I had all the forms printed up my self for them too fill out.

am9648 06-04-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Pete (Post 1351006)
Alright guys, here it is Registration Sticker without annual inspection.

http://photos.imageevent.com/germanp...603_051957.jpg

G-Pete

Did you go to the tax office or to a grocery store for the renewal?

G-Pete 06-05-2015 04:27 AM

Tax Office in Plano TX.

bwcobra15 02-05-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSammy (Post 1335693)
Let me give a comprehensive answer, please. There is now only one prescribed way for you to register your new BDR according to current TX DMV regs. The DMV has embodied the guidance from the legislature in the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual (see the link in the first post above). You need to download that and read the portions that pertain to assembled vehicles and custom vehicles. Your BDR will become a Custom Vehicle, Replica 1965 Ford, with a year of manufacture as called out by your MSO/MCO, and manufacturer as stated on the MSO/MCO.

The DMV is very strict in the manual .. The VTR 852 for a new assembled vehicle must be signed by an ASE Certified Master Technician who is current in categories A1 through A8. The technician must provide you with a print out of his certificate status report that shows he is current in all 8 categories (that is what makes him a Master technician).

The steps are in this order:
Get an insurance card that describes the car as a "1965 Ford 2DR Roadster (or Convertible) Replica."
Go to the county title clerk and get a 30 day paper tag so you can legally drive the car to the ASE inspection and certified public scales.
Have the ASE inspection done and VTR 852 signed (the ASE will need to see the insurance card)
Have the car weighed and get a weight certificate at a truck stop

Proceed to the county title and registration office with the following:
VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement, bearing the signature of the assembler, plus the invoices for chassis, motor, trans,
VTR-130U Title Application, description exactly per the MSO
VTR-852 ASE Inspection augmented by the ASE Certification print out from the inspector,
VTR-63 Component Part Bill of Sale,
Weight certificate,
Photo or rubbing of the VIN plate,
3 photos of your car,
1 photo of an original 1965 Cobra,
MSO
Your checkbook.

As far as DMV is concerned, you are titling a new assembled vehicle that you purchased as a collection of components. Never mind how it seems to have arrived in your possession as a complete automobile. The presumption is that any sales tax due on these components has already been paid by you when you bought them. So there is no 6.25% vehicle sales tax due on a car registered in this way. Now if you bought a previously registered car with a title, then it is a different story. That would be a used car and tax is due.

None of this is difficult. Tedious, yes. Pain in the posterior, yes. If you can do your Federal Income Tax, this is not hard. Stupid? Sure. Good luck! Report back on how it went so others can learn ...

Sam

Sam,

I'm about to go through this painful process, and want to get some clarification: On the insurance card you say to describe it as "1965 Ford 2DR Roadster (or Convertible) Replica."

Does it have to 1965 Ford, or can it say "1965 Shelby Cobra Roadster Replica". Why FORD and not Shelby? Was Shelby not considered the manufacturer in 1965?

SSSammy 02-05-2019 01:41 PM

Bobby,
Things may have changed in later years, but it used to be that the TX DMV did not have a manufacturer name for "Shelby" and ... the original cars were sold by Ford dealers and were titled as FORD.

The game is: your insurance card vehicle description gets copied by the title clerk onto the temp registration that you use to go get inspected. That is where you assert that your are a 1965 replica of something and therefore exempt from current year inspection criteria. So it is still fine to assert that your are a "Replica 1965 FORD". Have your ins agent make sure that wording appears on your ins card.

With your temp registration and your ins card, go to your ASE Certified Master Technician with the VTR-852 form and prompt him that this will be a "Custom Vehicle". He will do the 14 point roadworthy insp and provide a copy of his personal ASE certificate. The certificate must have him current in all 8 sub-areas of auto competency.

Then bring the certified VTR-852 form and all the other exhibits called for above (read the latest Assembled Vehicle Manual to be sure) to the title clerk. Your MSO will prob define what year they will use. It will be an ASVE, not a Hurricane, as they make all component cars ASVE.

These instructions only apply to the process for "Custom Vehicle" plates on a TX Assembled Vehicle. That is the only correct path to register a new replica in TX. Someone else will cite a different process that they used, and I say fine, whatever worked. But with a Custom Vehicle plate you will never need another inspection.

Just ask if I can help further :)

Sam

RockBit 02-05-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwcobra15 (Post 1457792)
I'm about to go through this painful process

Bob:

Even though it is not required in the manual, the Richardson tax office would not process my application without me getting a law enforcement inspection. I think H-Rod had to get one also. Another $40...

bwcobra15 02-05-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockBit (Post 1457796)
Bob:

Even though it is not required in the manual, the Richardson tax office would not process my application without me getting a law enforcement inspection. I think H-Rod had to get one also. Another $40...

What is a "law enforcement inspection"? I know a Midlothian peace officer I can pay off ... ;)

SSSammy 02-05-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwcobra15 (Post 1457800)
What is a "law enforcement inspection"? I know a Midlothian peace officer I can pay off ... ;)

Not required here. The VTR-68-A/VTR-68-N is a Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection and Assignment process which is sometimes required on a homebuilt or used car when no title/MSO is available. They create an "assigned VIN". If your clerk asks for it, ask for the supervisor. It is not a requirement for what you are doing. You have an MSO and a photo or rubbing of your VIN. If they insist, then go get it done, you have to take the car to certain police inspection sites. DMV has info on where.

But, I've done 4 of these in Collin County and it's never come up. Print out the manual and bring it with you. The title office also has their own internal manual and you can ask them to look up Assembled Vehicles.

Your best approach is to be the person in the conversation who knows the most about the Assembled Vehicle Titling Process. STUDY the manual first. The clerks will be likely to be doing this for the first time ... ;)

Sam

H-Rod 02-06-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwcobra15 (Post 1457800)

Depends on what county you live in.
Rockbit and myself had to get a sign off on the 68 form. Basically, a LEO looks at the vin marking/stamping on your chassis and will verify it against the MSO.
This is just mainly done to make sure you`re not stealing a vin from another vehicle and placing it on your assembled vehicle.

All the guys that live in collin county didn`t have to go through this. Being Rockbit and I live in Dallas county, it`s obviously a county requirement.

Being you live out in the sticks (:LOL::LOL::LOL:) you`ll have to swing by your DOT office and see what they require.

ItalGerBrit 06-14-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Rod (Post 1457824)
Depends on what county you live in.
Rockbit and myself had to get a sign off on the 68 form. Basically, a LEO looks at the vin marking/stamping on your chassis and will verify it against the MSO.
This is just mainly done to make sure you`re not stealing a vin from another vehicle and placing it on your assembled vehicle.

All the guys that live in collin county didn`t have to go through this. Being Rockbit and I live in Dallas county, it`s obviously a county requirement.

Being you live out in the sticks (:LOL::LOL::LOL:) you`ll have to swing by your DOT office and see what they require.

I registered my Daytona Coupe in Louisiana and the process is very similar to what you guys must do in Texas. Texas and Louisiana must have copied the same procedure. No ASE inspection but State Police officer inspected it both before and after I etched on the state assigned VIN in their designated locations. Receipts for the trans and engine purchase were not enough for the State. Superformance provided adequate paperwork to satisfy them on the roller but had to get certified statements from both Roush and Tremec along with all the other paperwork before the state would accept it. Three trips to the main taxation office in Baton Rouge to finally satisfy them. They want to see all receipts and you must follow the instructions perfectly. Just do what they say to do no matter how silly the request. It could be that the counties in Texas handle your registration and that might make it easier for you. That makes sense in another way. Some of your counties are as large as the whole state of Louisiana.

bwcobra15 06-21-2019 04:05 PM

I hate to resurrect this thread yet again, but I'm about ready for the final step in this process: going to the Ellis County Texas tax office with all supporting documents. I've completed the ASE Safety Inspection and have VTR-852 filled out and signed, along with the ASE Technician's certificate good until June 30, 2024. I have had the car weighed and have weight certificate.

Now, I've studied the Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual (TxDMV October 2017) front-to-back numerous times and highlighted every section that pertains to "Custom Vehicle" specialty plates for a "new assembled vehicle" so I can help guide the clerk through the process. But the one section that has me concerned are these two bullets in Chapter 4: Replicas, section 4.1 Application for Title and Supporting Documentation:
  • If an assigned number has been obtained, a completed Notice of Assigned or Reassigned Identification Number (Form VTR-68-N) must be attached;
  • If an assigned number is obtained, a copy of the Law Enforcement Identification Number Inspection (Form VTR-68-A);
So what is "if an assigned number has been obtained" mean?! I have an MSO from Hurricane Motorsports that states my VIN as "HM-xxxx" and the VIN plate is riveted to the frame and I am providing photos of the VIN plate. I dont want to have to go for a DPS station inspection as well. If the clerk (and her supervisor) insist on this step, how should I defend it?

SSSammy 06-21-2019 05:26 PM

Bob,
Your MSO is your birth certificate. The VTR-68 steps are for those building from scratch or from aggregated body parts who have no MSO with VIN.

They should accept your MSO VIN and the photos or rubbings of the VIN plate and not require the VTR-68s. Some states do assign a VIN for assembled cars, but TX will waive that if you have an MSO. That said, I think our Dallas County members had to provide VTR-68s to satisfy their clerk.

The exclusion in your particular case is the word "If" in the two bullets above. You do not have a TX assigned VIN. You have a real MSO just like the big kids in their F-250s.

Sam

bwcobra15 07-31-2019 08:42 AM

Success!

I followed Sammy's instructions to the letter, printed out chapters 2 and 4 of the TxDMV Assembled and Rebuilt Vehicle Manual and highlighted every pertinent line and paragraph. Took it all to the Ellis county tax office in Waxahachie. Explained to the clerk what we were about to do: She called over her supervisor, who brought out the same TxDMV manual. We went through each page and step together, they reviewed all my documents, the clerk keyed it into their computer. I only had to reminder her to add "REPLICA: 1965 FORD" in the remarks section.

I paid a total of $139.50: $99.50 for registration and title app, and $40 for personalized custom vehicle plates. I paid NO sales tax. I think the key is having "ASSEMBLED" as the seller on the application.

Yesterday I received my Texas Certificate of Texas from TxDMV ...! Woop! Just waiting on the license plate in the mail now.

http://bobworley.com/images/hm2008/build/title.jpg

http://bobworley.com/images/hm2008/b...censeplate.jpg

SSSammy 08-01-2019 03:03 PM

Awesome Bob! Finally, at long last, done, the end, fini, it's all over including the shouting! Congratulations! **):D:MECOOL:

I hereby crown thee: "Texas Registration Yoda"

Sam

double-rr 08-02-2019 03:38 AM

Yee Haw Bobby!!!!

Sure wish I had know about the provisions in the Tx code about the sales tax when I registered mine in 2017. I paid a little over $2000 for the taxes and fees. They charged me taxes on the base price of my car. Would be a waste of time to try to get a refund from the state of Texas at this point.

Russ

shark92651 09-13-2019 01:50 PM

I'm working on this process now to title/register my newly completed Factory Five MK4. On the Application for Texas Title form 130-U there is a section to calculate tax based on sale price, less trade in, 6.25% tax rate, etc... I would rather avoid the sales tax. Should I just leave all that blank and explain that I purchased all the components myself. I figured I could tell them I declared as "use tax" on my tax forms. What do you think?

bwcobra15 09-13-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shark92651 (Post 1466686)
I'm working on this process now to title/register my newly completed Factory Five MK4. On the Application for Texas Title form 130-U there is a section to calculate tax based on sale price, less trade in, 6.25% tax rate, etc... I would rather avoid the sales tax. Should I just leave all that blank and explain that I purchased all the components myself. I figured I could tell them I declared as "use tax" on my tax forms. What do you think?

In box 37 of form 130-U, I checked the box that reads: "Exemption claimed under the Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Law because:"

and then I wrote in "VEHICLE IS ASSEMBLED FROM ALL NEW COMPONENTS"

in box 20 for Previous Owner Name I put "ASSEMBLED"

on the signature line for Seller(s) Printed Name I put "ASSEMBLED"

hope that helps.

SSSammy 09-14-2019 02:33 PM

Bob is exactly correct. A careful reading of the Motor Vehicle Tax code will confirm that the *first* time a new Assembled Vehicle is titled/registered, no tax is due. Subsequent sales of this car will be taxable.

The presumption on the part of the state is that you paid any sales tax due on the components when you purchased them. FFR may decide to charge customers tax on the kits at some point, but I have not heard of it.

You're not being sneaky, you do not owe sales tax on this kit car. If the county tries to charge you tax, ask for the supervisor.

Good luck!
Sam

RockBit 09-15-2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSammy (Post 1466732)
A careful reading of the Motor Vehicle Tax code will confirm that the *first* time a new Assembled Vehicle is titled/registered, no tax is due. Subsequent sales of this car will be taxable.

Sam

I wish I had known that when I titled my car. The supervisor asked me if I had paid sales tax on the purchase and I answered honestly with a no. I then got a hickey for a few thousand.

shark92651 09-19-2019 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwcobra15 (Post 1466689)
In box 37 of form 130-U, I checked the box that reads: "Exemption claimed under the Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Law because:"

and then I wrote in "VEHICLE IS ASSEMBLED FROM ALL NEW COMPONENTS"

in box 20 for Previous Owner Name I put "ASSEMBLED"

on the signature line for Seller(s) Printed Name I put "ASSEMBLED"

hope that helps.

Thanks I had missed that checkbox. I will reprint the form with these changes.