Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Need some guidance or feedback (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/140944-need-some-guidance-feedback.html)

DownTown 05-21-2018 08:22 AM

Need some guidance or feedback

I am getting back into the Cobra family after being gone for a few years and I am bringing my father-in-law to boot. I am more of a purist and obtaining a 427 side oiler, he is looking at purchasing a Shelby by Backdraft that has a Ford 5.0L Coyote power plant, stock heads, EFI, Tremec 5 World Class transmission. It has Independent front and rear suspension with BMW rear axle 3.73:1 ratio. The engine only has 2600 miles on it and appears to be extremely taken care of.

I've never been around this set up with this type of engine, can anyone provide any feedback on it and any thing we need to look out for.

SSSammy 05-21-2018 12:41 PM

Welcome back!

DT, did you make it to San Marcos last month? We were all over Wimberly and the surrounding area **)

Your DIL will be fine with the BDR Coyote. Non-traditional, but, Coyotes in Cobras are a thing now, with the new fed law on low volume manufacturers. SPF and BDR are doing Coyotes that can meet current emissions. And of course BDR dealer Radical Roadsters is in Tomball.

Sam

DownTown 05-21-2018 01:34 PM

SSSammy

Yes, I was out for a bit on Saturday in between the cars out touring. I had daddy duties for prom for my oldest daughter who graduates this Friday. Anyhow, it was a blast seeing all the cars in my home town of Wimberley and it re-kindled some fond memories from nearly 14 years ago.

Thanks for the insight on the BDR for my DIL, he likes the newer tech and suspension being he's 68 and loves power steering. Me I still have the willingness to wrestle the more pure power plant. Good to know Radical Roadsters is a BDR dealer and is in Tomball, we might make a run up that way soon to check it out.

Thanks a lot.

DownTown

mikeinatlanta 05-22-2018 05:16 AM

Spent some time crawling over some coyote powered Backdrafts. Not my cup of tea but they look good if that's his thing. Wouldn't worry about the motor at all. They be tough.

Seagull81 05-22-2018 06:34 AM

Welcome back to the family. You have a PM.
If you are going Backdraft, you have to go see James Yale at Radical Roadsters in Tomball. He is the man.

nathanmargolis 05-22-2018 04:23 PM

Backdraft

I just picked up a used Backdraft here in Houston. Did look at a few Factory Fives. Two were pure junk and third decent but no comparison to Backdraft because of the driverability.
Backdraft has power brakes and hydraulic clutches where most Factory Fives do not.
In my opinion, a Backdraft drives like a car and the three Factory Fives like a go-cart.
In my opinion, a Backdraft is finished much nicer.
However, I know there are really nice Factory Fives for sure and no matter what is purchased, all of the look really nice.
Don't think you could go wrong with Backdraft unless you find a really nice Factory Fives.
Lots of other things out there and did look at one other make that was impressive.
Guess you really need to drive one and look at price vs. if this is what will make you happy.
Not too conclusive, am I. :-)

WizardTex 05-29-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownTown (Post 1444690)
I am getting back into the Cobra family after being gone for a few years and I am bringing my father-in-law to boot. I am more of a purist and obtaining a 427 side oiler, he is looking at purchasing a Shelby by Backdraft that has a Ford 5.0L Coyote power plant, stock heads, EFI, Tremec 5 World Class transmission. It has Independent front and rear suspension with BMW rear axle 3.73:1 ratio. The engine only has 2600 miles on it and appears to be extremely taken care of.

I've never been around this set up with this type of engine, can anyone provide any feedback on it and any thing we need to look out for.

Say Bub....who's bringin who? LMAO