Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Texas Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/)
-   -   Need Recommendations for Exhaust Fabrication in Dallas ??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texas-cobra-club/63748-need-recommendations-exhaust-fabrication-dallas.html)

James Baldwin 04-22-2005 11:02 AM

Need Recommendations for Exhaust Fabrication in Dallas ???

The Shelby headers simply are not going to work. They are hitting the steering shaft and the frame support on one side and I would have to pound a dent about 1/2 into 2 tubes to get them to align. On the passenger side, they are 3/4" too far forward meet the holes in the body.

Does anyone in the Dallas area know of exhaust system fabricators would will help custom fit my headers?

Thanks

Bud Man 04-22-2005 01:31 PM

James:

You have mail....

Bud

fordnut 04-23-2005 06:27 AM

James,

I don't know what engine you have, but on some engines the exhaust ports are staggered from side to side. Are you sure you have the right header on the right side of the engine. Mine are different from side to side. Just food for thought.

lyle huskins 04-24-2005 02:58 PM

check with the people at lone star classic ,they can build you just about anything you need

427Aggie 04-24-2005 07:41 PM

Ummm...yea you deal with him alot.>Rob does headers all the time.

Matt

ItsOnlyMoney 04-24-2005 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 427Aggie
Ummm...yea you deal with him alot.>Rob does headers all the time.Matt
Rob even fixed Matt's "penetration" problem %/

Header to sidepipe penetration that is :3DSMILE:

David

392cobra 04-25-2005 05:59 AM

Is Matt going to start replacing "Smiling Bob" on the Enzyte commercial ? %/

James Baldwin 04-25-2005 07:04 AM

Bob,

Yes, these only fit one way. If you try to put them on the opposing sides, the pipes don't clear the footbox. thanks though

Matt,
Thanks for the info. He must be good because we have all heard how bad your "penetration" problem was... :)

Keithc8 04-25-2005 09:31 PM

James isn't the Shelby aluminum body you have the same as the Kirkham body? If so why wouldn't the Kirkham headers work? Just give me a call and we would be happy to build you a set. We have done several sets for FE and small blocks because most do not fit or they are to small. Thanks, Rob & Keith

The Dreamer 04-26-2005 11:24 PM

James,

The headers go around the steering shaft, so I don't know what is going on there, but the 427s usually need to be dented to clear the frame or footbox depending on which headers you get. Contact the Kirkhams.

James Baldwin 04-27-2005 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Because of the angle of the curve, the pipe will have to be dented about 1/2" on each side to get the primary to line up with the Sidepipe.

The bigger issue is the paasenger side. The pipes are about 1" too far forward.

Specialk 04-27-2005 10:37 AM

James,

I usually have to play around with the headers for quite awhile to make them fit. It usually involves creative cutting and welding. %/

Keith has an excellent point, why not buy a set of Kirkham headers. They come out of the box fully welded and fitted, and they do fit! You should be able to use your Shelby sourced sidepipes, or the Kirkhams if you wish. The Kirkham sidepipes look original, but are much louder than the Shelby pipes.

Gary Morris 04-27-2005 11:13 AM

Kris.....I have CSX4758 and trust me the Kirkham pipes don't even come close as I borrowed a set just to see if I could save some time. Mine have been adjusted to fit by Rob.....but now that my car has been back to Shelby some major adjustments I'm wondering if they will fit now especially since they have been welded up solid.

Gary

Specialk 04-27-2005 11:34 AM

Gary,

There are slight differences between a 'glass car and an aluminum car. That 3/4" tube that James tubes are touching is placed differently in a 'glass car. The motor mounts are also different.

I have never had any problems with the Kirkham headers on a Kirkham aluminum car. Maybe these cars are so different that nothing will work out of the box.

Gary Morris 04-27-2005 12:08 PM

Sorry Kris...my bad. the last Kirkham that was finished here in town the guy had to take a hammer and flatten out the pipe where James is talking about to make it fit. From what I hear Shelby is quoting 6 weeks just for a new set of headers which is really out of whack. I still say if ERA, Superformance etc....can furnish welded up headers that fit then Shelby should be able to do it also rather than putting this rather expensive procedure off onto the customer....but then that's just my .02. Thanks for your input and help in other areas.

Gary

jpfletch1 04-27-2005 12:54 PM

The Kirkhams won't sell you just the headers. If you want S.S side pipes you have to buy their whole system. Bogus

John A. Simpson 04-27-2005 01:02 PM

Keith Craft

Do I understand you correctly, you build headers/side-pipes for Kirkham and CSX cars? I thought that a 2" primary pipe might be too small for one of your 482 monsters with the Stage 2 Edelbrock heads. Do you ever make your side-pipes with a merge collector instead of the traditional style? I think I saw merge collectors on Dick Smith original Cobra. What is the approximate cost?
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...110037-med.jpg

R U YELLA 04-27-2005 01:04 PM

The header pipes from KMP are exactly the same as the ones from Cobra Restorers. The only difference in the headers are the 5 & 6 pipes are reversed vertically. There are 2 different side pipes from CR. The ones that have "Made in Canada" are the same ones as the KMP's.

Is your car a CSX or KMP? If it is a KMP and you had them do the side pipe cutouts then you need to get the KMP headers & side pipes. They cut the holes according to their pipes they supply.