Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default Back from Run N Gun :D

Had a world class blast at Gateway .. first time for me with a car. Went two years ago with HLC and have just been counting the days till I could get back there with my car. Got the car running with the new rear end and tranny just the friday before .. attended the club meet the next day .. then put two hundred miles on her over the rest of last weekend to make sure the rear end was broken in.

I went up Tuesday so I could attend the Test and Tune day on Wed and the seminars. Dropped the car and trailer at the track Tue night about 6 pm. Wed was an excellent time to get moved into the garage and get the car around the track a few times to get the feel of the place. Quite a few drivers got a little bit too enthusiastic and Track Manager Dan had to get us together and remind us that we weren't racing so cool it!

Thurs am we went to Autocross, and I did pretty good and didn't knock over any cones .. credit Intro to Road Racing at TMS three weeks ago.

Later Thurs am we had a "Follow Me" session so the Novices could learn the racing line from our local Race Yoda, Don Barnes. I had the unique opportunity to be #2 behind Don for several laps as he showed us how it is done. That plus the preparation I got at TMS was invaluable. They let us loose for a timing session, then split us into 4 groups based on lap times .. putting similar times together, as opposed to going by the traditional groups .. such as Novice, Street, Prepared, and Pro.

I was assigned to group 2, based on my qualifying time, and ran with mostly more experienced drivers .. some famous names like Reyburn and Jus Bit and Wildbill. This was waaaay better than Hallett, more room. fewer cars, and better drivers .. Woooooo!!!

Had a couple fairly hot sessions .. the slicks were really making a difference. As a novice, it was a thrill to see the corner workers blue flagging the cars I came up on (check your mirrors, someone is about to pass you) I wish I had a picture of that grin Here's a pic I like, me with the two guys (Jay and Keith) who got me there ..

So rookie me got a first place in my class in Autocross and Road Course. Regrettably, I holed a piston later Thurs and didn't get on the track at all Friday. Sally is blowing oil out all her orfices, and needs her motor to go back to Keith for some TLC. Will get that done asap!

My compliments to Clois, Dean, Jay, and Hershal on the best Run N Gun ever, I am sure! Some of you need to come up with us next year .. start planning now, because it takes preparation!

Sam
Old 10-13-2008, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Good job on the 1st place. Sorry to hear about the engine, do you know what caused it or is Keith going to have to figure it out?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Hey Sssammy Great to have you run with us in group 2 you did a great job handling your car out ther wish it would have lasted longer ,Keith will get you going,get some bigger Fuel line -6 or larger for that hungry Beast of yours.seee ya soon WB3
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LS427, Keith Craft 408, TKO-600, 370 Rear-End
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on the awards Sammy and glad you had a good time. Sorry about the oil and that I didn’t make it but got my car back from paint and spent the time putting it back together maybe next year.

Gary

“Not a worry in the world a cold beer in my hand life is good today, life is good today”
Old 10-13-2008, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Gald you had a great time Sam

SSSammy Gald you had a great time. Sorry the motor got nicked. It's alot of driving and racing at R&G. If you are not worn out by the 3rd day, in some cases the cars are. It's a tough event for any car. Couple of the guys got 200+ miles on the road course alone. Looking forward to YOU carrying the ERA banner next year. GREAT JOB. Rick L.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:55 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Sam,
I have been closely following your preparation and the MANY set backs you encountered all the way to almost loading your Cobra on the trailer to leave.

You NEVER lost focus !!! Seems like all it did was make you even more determined.

You're a winner and you showed that to everyone.

You really earned it.

You went up there and made Texas Proud !!!
Old 10-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4973
Not Ranked     

That is absolutely awesome. And to think, I knew you and #745 before y'all were famous champions.

Edit: BTW... Nice shirt.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great job Sammy! Sorry about your motor. Great to get to meet you. Until next time----Happy trails!!!! John
Old 10-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

DANG!!!!!!!!!
i should have NEVER let you drive Pepe around that track during the 'parade' laps in '06.....
NEVER!!!
as i recall.... you had ordered a 427 'street' cobra from ERA, were putting a 'mild' little ol 390 in it.... no roll bar, no side pipes..... and NOW look at the monster created....

congrats, btw.
i think I have those same two plaques hanging on MY garage wall, too.

glad you had a great time, and after all your preparation you deserved to win something.

keep working on your little gremlins and you'll have the best time for years to come.

I am soo glad you had a fun time.
Kristen
Old 10-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It all went by too fast .. and now it's another year away .. hope some more of us TCC folks can go next time! Fred and all, thank you for the kind words .. yes, I had to just keep at it. But that is RnG for you .. a lot of guys barely got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey,littlecobra View Post
congrats, btw.
i think I have those same two plaques hanging on MY garage wall, too.

I am soo glad you had a fun time.
Kristen
You are absolutely correct, sweetie .. I found this:

Now we'll never know who is best, will we?

Sam
Old 10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 408 525HP/490TQ, Mass Flow EFI
Not Ranked     

she'll be back...
Francis
Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

Ssssammy:

I can tell you that Sssammy is there! He has arrived! He can be trusted side by side at speed and we're talking 140mph. I'll post some pic's tomorrow since we just got back from STL. Sammy, get that rocketship fixed. You got a 1:12, 1:10, 1:07 FOR SURE!!! Just waiting to be unleashed.

It was great being on track with you.

Last edited by LREYBURN; 10-13-2008 at 08:55 PM..
Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on successfully passing the torch Kristen...

and congratulations Sam, "apprentice now the master," "patience young jedi," and your speeder will soon be good as new.

Need any help?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Sammy,

Great job at RnG!!....we could all see you going faster with each lap this last summer at Hallet.

Sorry to hear about your engine, but it appears very fixable. Get 'er done!

John
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR DAYTONA COUPE 302 COBRA FE STOCK
Not Ranked     

Sssammy...Did you win the Gateway Cobra Club/Run'NGun show and shine? There is a picture of you, your Cobra, your grin, being presented a tall trophy in front of their banner at R'NG. If so, congratulations! If not, what?

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...0/IMG_0797.jpg
Old 10-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Editor's Choice Award

Larry, while everybody else was at the drags, since my car was disabled, I entered the Gateway CC show .. as we were asked to do in driver's meeting if we could .. I wanted to show some support to GCC for all that they had done to support the event.

This was one of three trophies .. The Editor's Choice Award

Sam