Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Fender liner for stone protection... (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/102751-fender-liner-stone-protection.html)

JCoop 02-12-2010 07:45 AM

Fender liner for stone protection...

I put on a new set of Nitto 555 tires and they are fantastic! However, they DO kick up a ot of stones and debris, especially around here: dirty New York streets. Almost as much as the Good Year hand-cut slicks. I remember putting on adhesive-backed liners under the fenders of my old SB SPF Cobra, and also used sound-deadening material under the fenders of the GT40; but I have some-ziemer's and can't remember what/where I got them.:LOL: Does anybody have new information, or know of what's available at home depot, etc. that I can use? Shelby and Hillbank doesn't stock them anymore either. Thanks!
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d.../justwaxed.jpg

CBattaglia 02-12-2010 08:04 AM

I believe the new SPF's have it standard now. Maybe they sell after market packages if you didnt want to fabricate something. I have read nightmare stories about installing that stuff.

Where in NY? Im 60 miles N of NYC.

RedBarchetta 02-12-2010 08:36 AM

Ray, I went to a local arts & crafts store and bought 11x14 sheets of black 3/32" neoprene. Then started at the top of each wheel well using a full sheet, attaching with contact cement. Then patchworked to the edges, using a razor blade for exact fit. Once you have the panels in, then mask off and hit it with 2-3 coats of black rubberized truck bed liner/undercoat. Looks pro and works great. Takes a little time per each wheel well but I spread it out over a couple weekends (did the rears first and then the fronts).

I've done much harder projects...this is one of those that I'd do again if I had to. It's just a little timing consuming and you have to work upside down.

-Dean

noblec5 02-12-2010 09:47 AM

I bought mine from Jeff Balsamo from CobraFormance, and installed them over the summer. The neoprene is already pre-cut. Jeff's also a forum member. I have the Goodyear "Billboards" and they pick up boulders it seems like. Bit no worries with Jeff's neoprene!

His number is 650-678-7711 (cell) or hallbalsracing@comcast.net

Respectfully,

Chris

Silverback51 02-12-2010 10:35 AM

I used a gallon of Herculiner bedliner material. I was able to get 6 coats applied from the gallon of material that I had. I run the GoodYear Billboards and have not had any issues.

I forgot to mention. It took about a short case of beer to apply also.:o

Bob In Ct 02-12-2010 10:58 AM

I bought 4 precut neoprene pieces for my SPF a few years ago. It's still on! It's pricey, but good stuff. Lots of prep but the liner went on easily using a 2 inch paint roller.

Contact Craig Hill at "King of the Hill". 925-449-3330

Bob

JCoop 02-12-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBattaglia (Post 1028144)
I believe the new SPF's have it standard now. Maybe they sell after market packages if you didnt want to fabricate something. I have read nightmare stories about installing that stuff.

Where in NY? Im 60 miles N of NYC.

Nah, I called and they don't stock the part.
I'm in Long Island...easy 'nuf for a spring coffee meet : )

JCoop 02-12-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBarchetta (Post 1028151)
Ray, I went to a local arts & crafts store and bought 11x14 sheets of black 3/32" neoprene. Then started at the top of each wheel well using a full sheet, attaching with contact cement. Then patchworked to the edges, using a razor blade for exact fit. Once you have the panels in, then mask off and hit it with 2-3 coats of black rubberized truck bed liner/undercoat. Looks pro and works great. Takes a little time per each wheel well but I spread it out over a couple weekends (did the rears first and then the fronts).

I've done much harder projects...this is one of those that I'd do again if I had to. It's just a little timing consuming and you have to work upside down.

-Dean

Dean, your projects are always so involved :) but always look great, I'm sure. We don't have the luxury of Ca weather so even though I have an old oriental under the car, it's still too cold to be on my back that long, hehe.

I do think neprene is probably the best stuff to use. Thanks!

Ray

JCoop 02-12-2010 12:35 PM

No answer Bob...
and the case of beer will certainly help, Silverback.

I'll call Jeff, Chris. Thanks.

I got one of those spider cracks on my previous SB SPF, and they ain't easy nor cheap to fix. It was easier to put a novice stripe over it :)

Thank you all for the replies. Time to get busy. Cabin fever real bad...:LOL:

Bob Perry 02-12-2010 03:22 PM

Ray, the padding kit i used was from kirkham it comes with a templet to cut out the padding, you may have to alter as i did to fit you car. I used contact cement as they recommended.It works great and they are great people to deal with....