Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Original Halibrand Wheels - spinner material? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/118011-original-halibrand-wheels-spinner-material.html)

bliss 11-18-2012 03:23 PM

Original Halibrand Wheels - spinner material?

I have original Halibrand Wheels on my Cobra - of course, they are magnesium, but the spinners are some other material - question: what material? They aren't chromed, for sure, and they don't turn polishing products black when polishing - plus one can pound on them with a special hammer, on and off.

Thanks for any input.

mickmate 11-18-2012 04:02 PM

Any lettering on them?

bliss 11-19-2012 09:30 AM

Yes - HALIBRAND on all three forks (front side), what appears to be ALCOA on the back of one spike, 6061 on the second and H326A on the third.

MOTORHEAD 11-19-2012 09:47 AM

ALCOA I believe is "Aluminum Company of America", 6061 is a grade of aluminum,
so if it quacks like a duck...........

FWB 11-19-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliss (Post 1219578)
Yes - HALIBRAND on all three forks (front side), what appears to be ALCOA on the back of one spike, 6061 on the second and H326A on the third.

yep Motorhead hit it right on the......well the head...

6061 grade aluminum.......careful what you use to polish them, make sure the stuff you use is aluminum friendly.

bliss 11-19-2012 10:55 AM

Thanks - polishing them is the task.

mickmate 11-19-2012 02:27 PM

Mothers gets my vote.

bliss 12-16-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1219611)
Mothers gets my vote.

I use Mothers, also - actually, tried Mothers Billet Metal Polish some time ago - it's pricey, but well worth it on Aluminum. Of course, the Magnesium wheels are a special case, but I've now found that combining the Billet Polish with Mr. Buffer, along with a Mothers Powerball mounted in an air rotary tool provides excellent and fast results. I've gone through dozens of alternative products and methods to end up, finally, with the desired results.

ERA Chas 12-16-2012 03:12 PM

Skip all of that. Nuvite. Start with the C compound. Finish and maintain with the S. This from a magnesium owner-aluminum is too easy for it...

bliss 12-17-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA Chas (Post 1223090)
Skip all of that. Nuvite. Start with the C compound. Finish and maintain with the S. This from a magnesium owner-aluminum is too easy for it...

Ordered today. Thanks.