Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 66gtk

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Avon 275/55-15 - Anybody have a shop tire?

I'm calculating a very close/tight fit with these on my application. At the crazy expensive prices I don't want to be stuck with them if they don't fit (:

Does anybody have a worn out, damaged, whatever....Avon 275/55-15 I can use/borrow for fit testing purposes? Needs to hold air long enough to test fit.

Lastly, does anybody have a fresh set for sale or know where I can find them in MN?

Thanks!
Troy
Old 12-31-2016, 06:05 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE #2611
Not Ranked     
Default 275/55-15 Avon

You can find them on Roger Kraus Racing site.
On the left click on Race Tire Pricing, go down and click on the Goodyear tire file, then I think it's the top file that says "cobra tires", click on that and then it's like the third page. I just checked because I also want the widest front tire possible, yet keeping the diameter closest to 27 diameters as possible. As I'm sure your aware a 28 will not work on the fronts. Roger wants a bit over $400 per tire and the diameter i forget exactly but it's around 26.5 and yes that tire will work on the front. The only issue I see is that if your running a 7.5 front rim they recommend a min of an 8 inch. I know a lot of 275 tires out there say you can use a 7.5. I don't know what make you have but mine is a Superformance and mine is 7.5.
Just put Nitto 325/50-15 on the back and I love them!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks all. I've decided to make life easier on myself and will be going with a tire the local tire shop can provide. Choices are getting slimmer every time I need tires it seems.

Here is a test fit with 255/60r15 in the rear and 235/60r15 up front. My main concern is that I want to keep a 2.5" rear exiting exhaust as I'm not willing to compromise on that with my street car.
KevinW likes this.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

You should be able to run 255/60 R15s on the front with no interference. I'd think those 9.5" wide FIA rear wheels would take 295s without interfering with the exhaust?

AC
Old 12-31-2016, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The 295's would clear if I was running the small ERA supplied exhaust (still very tight), but I'm not. I have a custom built 2.5" exhaust system all the way out the rear and also custom made headers with larger primary tubing (:

The table is very handy and shows what will fit without interference when considering overall tire height and rubbing.

289/FIA and 427 Tire Dimension Table
Old 12-31-2016, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Troy - I like those FIA wheels - great look. What backspace are they on the rear - I would like to compare to mine if I can find the info again? If I had it all to do over I would probably checked with Bob and Vintage to see if they could have machined my rear wheels for about 1/4 inch less backspace. But so far I haven't had any interference with my 2-1/2 inch tail pipes.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Thanks all. I've decided to make life easier on myself and will be going with a tire the local tire shop can provide. Choices are getting slimmer every time I need tires it seems.

Here is a test fit with 255/60r15 in the rear and 235/60r15 up front. My main concern is that I want to keep a 2.5" rear exiting exhaust as I'm not willing to compromise on that with my street car.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dan,

One thing I've learned is that the BS measurement when comparing FIA style to Halibrand style wheels isn't the only info you need. The wheels are built differently and have a different offset.

Rear backspacing measurements are 3.535 and fronts are 3.891. These were not confirmed by myself, but were what I was told by the guy who sold them to me. Based on the 3.891 info I was anticipating needing to use a spacer, but after fitting them confirmed that I do not. Again, I believe these wheels have the mounting surface located differently than your 427 style wheels making backspace comparisons difficult apples to apples methodology.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Troy - I'll see if I can find my wheel info. The backspace on the wheels should be comparable - just the distance from outside edge of rim to the inside hub surface. But the adaptor thickness could be different between the two wheels - assuming they are 5-pin with an adaptor. If they are 6-pin then they can't be easily compared to my 5-pins. Who sells those - Trigo, Vintage, ?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mine are 6 PIN
Old 01-01-2017, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK - can't really compare then. But - good news that it works out and you have enough room for your exhaust.

Have a Happy New Year

Dan