Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   direction of knock offs (hubs) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/144258-direction-knock-offs-hubs.html)

ERA 626 11-25-2020 04:19 PM

direction of knock offs (hubs)

This may be a stupid question but here we go...

I am fairly sure I know the answer to this question but I want to see what you guys have to say.

In terms of the direction of the knock offs rotate to be removed.

passenger side the knock off should loosen by being hit counter clockwise or tighten by being hit clockwise correct? This makes sense, if the car is moving in a forward direction and something hits the knock off it will in affect tighten the knock off instead of loosening it...

Driver side counter clock should tighten the knock off... this seems the way it should be for safety reasons right? is there a correct way the hubs should be installed? asking for a friend**)

1795 11-25-2020 04:47 PM

You tighten both sides by hitting them towards the rear and loosen by hitting them forward. The centrifugal force of the wheel going forwards assist in tightening the spinner backwards.

Be careful to always keep the spinners on the same side of the car once removed, do not toss them all together unless you have marked them in some manner. The racers would sometimes paint the spinners red for one side and blue for the other in case they got mixed up.

Jim

kevins2 11-25-2020 05:24 PM

Just remember “tight ass” and you’ll always remember.

CCKW353 11-25-2020 07:37 PM

Ha, I watched the video and said, yep now I know how to tighten/loosen them.

Cashburn 11-26-2020 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1485699)
This may be a stupid question but here we go...

I am fairly sure I know the answer to this question but I want to see what you guys have to say.

In terms of the direction of the knock offs rotate to be removed.

passenger side the knock off should loosen by being hit counter clockwise or tighten by being hit clockwise correct? This makes sense, if the car is moving in a forward direction and something hits the knock off it will in affect tighten the knock off instead of loosening it...

Driver side counter clock should tighten the knock off... this seems the way it should be for safety reasons right? is there a correct way the hubs should be installed? asking for a friend**)

You have it backwards.

strictlypersonl 11-26-2020 06:03 AM

See page 121 of your assembly manual. (Sorry. The index says p. 120...)

kevins2 11-26-2020 06:38 AM

I scribed the back sides of mine with an "L" and an "R" so I don't have to look at the threads to figure out which side they go on if I haven't kept them separate.

razerwire 11-26-2020 08:14 AM

To be on top of this I put back on. Hit the top towards the back.

ERA 626 11-26-2020 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strictlypersonl (Post 1485718)
See page 121 of your assembly manual. (Sorry. The index says p. 120...)

umm its actually on page 116... I sold my ERA and now have a CSX but I kept the manual... I have zero trust that the people who assembled my CSX car (roller) have a clue on what they were doing...I found some bad stuff. There is a "sub contractor" that Hillbank uses to assemble the cars that is not even close to being a competent mechanic.. I am learning this now. So I am checking EVERYTHING... I needed to replace the half shaft hardware because the person who assembled my car used screws in a sheer application... It cost about $100 in hardware and an hour or so, but now its done right. Thanks Mooris and John Bessy for making me check this... now I am installing the proper catch can on the rear diff do it does not piss oil all over... It is a kirkham true track diff and its vented wrong. So David Kirkham is sending me the correct stuff.

ERA 626 11-26-2020 10:53 AM

The ERA manual explains it perfectly "tighten the wingnuts in the direction opposite to forward wheel rotation" thanks Bob

NROTOXIN 11-26-2020 12:19 PM

LEFT SIDE of car = Driver's side = RIGHT HAND THREADS (normal righty tighty lefty loosey)

RIGHT SIDE of car = Passenger side = LEFT HAND THREADS.

LMH 11-26-2020 07:25 PM

Works the same for alloy wheels!

https://i.postimg.cc/rwNJQwpm/DSCN5717.jpg

Larry

my427cobra 11-27-2020 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike. I carry a copy of this in my car.

Cheers
Greg