Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2021, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 Ford Racing Crate w/ TREMEC TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Vitour Tire Experiment Begins

So I purchased these Vitour Galaxy R1 tires from Performance Plus Tire in California. 235-60-15. V speed rated. 98 load for front tires.
Process was same as Tire Rack. Tires shipped via FedEX from TN to DC in 3 days total. They balanced fine and drove them a few miles last night and feel fine.
They shipped with a EU tire label required by all tires sold in the EU. They carry DOT labeling on side wall too. Will post pics soon.
rads42 likes this.

Last edited by kitcarbp; 03-16-2021 at 09:07 PM..
Old 03-13-2021, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a list of current tire companies. Helpful since it's nice to know if you're buying from a 1st cousin or sister company. EX: Toyo & Nitto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies

Vitour is fairly new and are independently made in China.
From their site:
Qingdao Vitour United Corp. was founded in 2006, but our business experiences in tire industry extend to more than ten years ago. We are totally independent and completely focused on the needs of our customers.

Our mission is to design, manufacture and deliver a comprehensive line of high-quality tires, with a special focus on the work-tire segment of the industry. This will be achieved through a continued investment in technical know-how and technology, which will enable us to deliver the best tire for any given application. We will execute our strategy with integrity and an unparalleled commitment to our customers.
Website--> 卫‹“·€”…œ-卫€”轮ƒŽ
Old 03-13-2021, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

The Mickey Thompson S/T is a very attractive predictable tire with an old
style tread pattern. They do not have a "warp speed" speed rating as the
245 size is T rated [118 mph] and the 295 has an S rating [112 mph]. They
are American made and cost about $700 for all four. I have them on my car
and when they wear out I will get four more.
Old 03-13-2021, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

@Kit, I'd advise checking the USA manufacture of the MT tires next time you price them They and Cooper Cobra were made in Gadsden,Al until the plant closed recently.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2064 BOSS 302 CSX2047 sold
Not Ranked     

I agree, anything can happen. As of 22 Feb 21 Goodyear purchased Cooper.
Cooper built a state of the art tire plant in Stow, Ohio in 2017 and the M/T
tires are made there. The Gadsden tire plant was a 100 year old Goodyear
facility and was obsolete and closed. Goodyear has some tires made in China
now and who knows which of their brands might be next!
Old 03-15-2021, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #720
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarbp View Post

So I purchased these Vitour Galaxy R1 tires from Performance Plus Tire in California. 235-60-15. V speed rated. 98 load for front tires.
Process was same as Tire Rack. Tires shipped via FedEX from TN to DC in 3 days total. They balanced fine and drove them a few miles last night and feel fine. I will post photos shortly. They shipped with a EU tire label required by all tires sold in the EU. They carry DOT labeling on side wall too. Will post pics soon.
I'll be curious to see how you like these. They seem like they check all the boxes. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2021, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40
Not Ranked     

I bought Vitour Formula tires for my Lotus Europa because they're the only company to make street 235/50/13 tires. I was skeptical that they would have decent traction, but they are much better than expected. Do well in the rain too. Tread pattern is very plain though.

Last edited by SwiftDB4; 03-16-2021 at 08:33 AM..
Old 03-16-2021, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
I owned Superformance #1950 and I went with the Mickey Thompson S/Ts and was very happy with them. Overall they are a great tire for the price, they made a huge difference to the handling and are great in the rain (dont ask) I went with 295/50R15 rear and 245/60R15 front. Plus I put the Billboard Stencil Kit on them from Tredwear. They looked great.
Time to put new tires on my SPF as well. Curious about the Mickey Thompson S/T's on the back; did you have any fitment issues with a 295/50R15? Did you use a stock SPF rim? Mine currently has 275/60R15's on stock rims and I have been wondering about moving to the 295's.

Chuck
Old 03-16-2021, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Vitour Road test

I have been reading UK forums where the Cobra guys are using Vitour Galaxy R1 tires also. So far I like them but need to go play on a skid pad to push them over the limit once weather gets warmer
Old 03-16-2021, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks1 View Post
Time to put new tires on my SPF as well. Curious about the Mickey Thompson S/T's on the back; did you have any fitment issues with a 295/50R15? Did you use a stock SPF rim? Mine currently has 275/60R15's on stock rims and I have been wondering about moving to the 295's.

Chuck
I have the 295 50 15 Avons with no rubbing and real happy with the look. The handling is night and day vs the Goodyear Eagle ll.
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 395 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
I have the 295 50 15 Avons with no rubbing and real happy with the look. The handling is night and day vs the Goodyear Eagle ll.
Good to know . . . thanks!
Old 04-06-2021, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Vitour Road Testing

So far I have a couple hundred miles on my Vitour Galaxy R1 GT Radials and they are doing great. Stable tire rides great, responsive on the twisty roads. I will soon find a parking lot and do some skid pad stuff to see how they behave at limits
rads42 likes this.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

@Kitcarbp.....How did they do in the flats?
Old 06-26-2021, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Im very happy with the Mickey Thompson S/Rs on the street as well as on the track.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ford 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
I’m very happy with the Mickey Thompson S/Rs on the street as well as on the track.
Same here, 26x10x15 front and 26x12x15 rear.. a little hard to balance, used road force balancing.. decent overall.. when they age out will try Avons, if they are available
Old 06-27-2021, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Get a sticky tire as these powerful short wheelbase cars can be a handful with the wrong tires.
Regulkar tires are too hard, made for heavier cars
My favorite is Billboards
then Avons and Dunlop
then Hoosie's
Funny you say that, I think the Billboard tires are POS !!! why anyone would run bias ply tires on a cobra is behond me. I tried them and within 200 miles i removed them. The car was extremely unstable at 80mph and above, vibrated the steering wheel etc. I hated the car. I took the plunge and spent the $$ on the avons and they are hands down the best tire I have ever had... I also dont understand why people put decals on their tires SMH...
Old 06-28-2021, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1,200 Mile update. Well still impressed with my 15 inch Vitours Galaxy front tires. Just reached about 1,200 miles and still stable at high speeds good cornering traction on street and practicing panic stops they do really well. Stay tuned. Oh and I aligned the Must II suspension myself with basic tools and still no signs of wear issues. So Im sure I can get the alignment even better on the alignment rack. Lets see how they do.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default New Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
Would have to agree! Had the coopers prior, not horrible, but these are just sublime
Old 06-28-2021, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I'm in the same position. My car will be 100% complete by the end of the summer, and I have an old pair of Billboards on it. They're way too old to use, they need to be replaced. What tires to get is the question. Undoubtedly, Avons are the top of the heap. However I can't see my way to paying that exhorbitant price for tires that just arent very good. They're not good tires, they're just the best of a bad group of choices. Look at all the modern top handling cars out there - Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa, Vette, etc. Have you ever seen ANY of these guys run an Avon tire? Nope. In our tire size, we have so few choices that a tire like the Avon drifts to the top of the heap more by default than performance. I can live with that, but not at the premium price charged for them.

I love the look of the BIllboards, but the reviews on them vary so much. Some guys like Jeff love them, others can't wait to get rid of them. I'm leaning toward the M/T's, but those off brand Chinese tires are certainly intriguing as well. I have a bit more time to settle on a choice. I'm even toying with the idea of getting a new set of Billboards, and maybe a new set of 17" wheels and high performance tires for everyday use. We'll see.

On a side note, some time back I contacted Coker about the Cobra tire market being very limited with regard to choice, while the buying base of Cobras is likely larger than any market the currently serve. They made it clear that they had zero interest in getting involved. Can you imagine how many tires they would sell if they could make a high quality sticky radial with as much Billboard look as they could build into it? I don't get those guys.
SFSDFGT likes this.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I went with the Vitour Galaxy after doing my research. I have had MT, BF Goodrich and Billboards. The MTs were the best of the lot.

John

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: