Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Tires and Wheels (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/)
-   -   Wheels & Tires - MKII (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/tires-wheels/146744-wheels-tires-mkii.html)

dapalong44 03-22-2023 11:32 AM

Wheels & Tires - MKII

What's the largest wheel & tire combo for this car? The rear axle I'm told is from a 2004 Mustang, if that matters. I'm wanting to fill up the wheel wells as much as possible, without rubbing issues of course. I'd prefer 17" if possible, as I like the look of low profile tires generally.

And who are the best wheel suppliers?

TIA!

Mike

mrmustang 03-22-2023 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapalong44 (Post 1515759)
What's the largest wheel & tire combo for this car? The rear axle I'm told is from a 2004 Mustang, if that matters. I'm wanting to fill up the wheel wells as much as possible, without rubbing issues of course. I'd prefer 17" if possible, as I like the look of low profile tires generally.

And who are the best wheel suppliers?

TIA!

Mike

What is your FFR chassis number (last four of VIN), also, does your car have rear coilover shocks, stock Ford rear coils and shocks, or perhaps an early 3 link rear? Each has it's own particular set up limitations, which is why I'm asking.

Bill S.

dapalong44 03-22-2023 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1515761)
What is your FFR chassis number (last four of VIN), also, does your car have rear coilover shocks, stock Ford rear coils and shocks, or perhaps an early 3 link rear? Each has it's own particular set up limitations, which is why I'm asking.

Bill S.

The entire VIN is FFR3315K. New to Fords, but I'm assuming this is the stock setup.

Mike

dapalong44 03-22-2023 05:50 PM

After looking through a few pics online of other MKIIs, it looks like coilovers are a bolt-on? I should have added in the original post that I'm not opposed to making changes to fit 315/17s in the rear. I am a fairly decent welder if that's what it requires.

mrmustang 03-22-2023 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapalong44 (Post 1515766)
The entire VIN is FFR3315K. New to Fords, but I'm assuming this is the stock setup.

Mike

Given you have the stock donor 4 link, you are going to be limited to 245/45/17 on a 17x8 rim in the front, and a 17x9 rim in the rear (stock late model, 1987-1993 mustang offset)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapalong44 (Post 1515769)
After looking through a few pics online of other MKIIs, it looks like coilovers are a bolt-on? I should have added in the original post that I'm not opposed to making changes to fit 315/17s in the rear. I am a fairly decent welder if that's what it requires.

You are going to need to cut off the rear coil spring (towers) mounts flush with the upper frame, you will then need a SN95 rear (slightly wider than a 79-93 fox rear end), at that point, you are best to spend a little extra money and get the FFR 3 link retrofit kit. You can then add the 17x10.5 rims (94-2004 offsets) in the rear in order to fit the 315/35/17 tires, yet you still might have some clearance issues, again, depending on which rear axle/housing setup you have.

Bill S.

dapalong44 03-23-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1515770)
Given you have the stock donor 4 link, you are going to be limited to 245/45/17 on a 17x8 rim in the front, and a 17x9 rim in the rear (stock late model, 1987-1993 mustang offset)

You are going to need to cut off the rear coil spring (towers) mounts flush with the upper frame, you will then need a SN95 rear (slightly wider than a 79-93 fox rear end), at that point, you are best to spend a little extra money and get the FFR 3 link retrofit kit. You can then add the 17x10.5 rims (94-2004 offsets) in the rear in order to fit the 315/35/17 tires, yet you still might have some clearance issues, again, depending on which rear axle/housing setup you have.

Bill S.

If I'm going to swap out the rear anyway, are there any affordable IRS options? Or is that an entirely different price range, with shocks, brakes, etc.

mrmustang 03-23-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapalong44 (Post 1515780)
If I'm going to swap out the rear anyway, are there any affordable IRS options? Or is that an entirely different price range, with shocks, brakes, etc.

There is nothing "bolt in" for an IRS option, the only bolt in option is the 3 link retrofit, which will give you the most intuitive handling without spending $6,500-$7,500 having someone like Mike Everson (Massachusetts) retrofit the IRS to your earlier chassis.

Bill S.

dapalong44 03-23-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1515782)
There is nothing "bolt in" for an IRS option, the only bolt in option is the 3 link retrofit, which will give you the most intuitive handling without spending $6,500-$7,500 having someone like Mike Everson (Massachusetts) retrofit the IRS to your earlier chassis.

Bill S.

Cool, thanks. Are there any particular SN95 rears that are preferred? In terms of gear ratios, limited slip, etc?

mrmustang 03-23-2023 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapalong44 (Post 1515783)
Cool, thanks. Are there any particular SN95 rears that are preferred? In terms of gear ratios, limited slip, etc?

All personal preference, depending on your particular wants and needs.

Bill S.

dapalong44 03-23-2023 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1515784)
All personal preference, depending on your particular wants and needs.

Bill S.

I found a few rear ends locally at salvage yards from 2000-2002 GTs. 3.27 gear ratio. Think I'll go that direction.