Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Transmission Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/)
-   -   Shifter linkage install (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/139863-shifter-linkage-install.html)

gduncan 12-28-2017 01:08 PM

Shifter linkage install

2 Attachment(s)
Can anyone help me with installing new shifting linkage for a for speed toploader? I have a new adapter plate and the shifting linkage for a Cobra shifter but can't figure out how it all comes together.

I know the rods go towards the front of the transmission but I can't figure out which direction the adapter plate mounts to the transmission.

The adapter plate and the linkage are the correct parts for the transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spdbrake 12-28-2017 06:38 PM

The adapter plate is for a 64-73 Mustang.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...op-loader.html
This diagram shows orientation.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...er-shifter.jpg

From what I see, the top picture you have it correct. Countersunk screws attach the plate to the trans, Shifter attaches to the aft threaded holes on the plate. Effectively moves the shifter aft 2".

gduncan 12-29-2017 04:01 PM

Thank you very much! I'm gonna give it another shot tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks again...

gduncan 01-01-2018 12:01 PM

Finally had a chance to get back to the install and no luck. The new countersunk screws do not thread all the way into the transmission shaft. The old countersunk screws thread all the way into the transmission, but do no pull the adapter plate tight to the transmission shaft. So, I just walked away to clear my head...

1795 01-01-2018 12:14 PM

Are the screws the same pitch? Prior to shortening the old screws, I would try to find a similar pitched screw that was slightly shorter.

gduncan 01-01-2018 01:25 PM

I compared new vs old and they both appear to be the same. Obviously they’re not. This is more frustrating than Chinese math... ��

1795 01-01-2018 01:31 PM

Yes, that is very frustrating trying to compare pitch by eye! :eek: I have seen, but do not currently have, a pitch gauge, which is a small plate that is threaded for various pitches so that you can figure out the correct pitch.

spdbrake 01-01-2018 05:05 PM

If you hold the old and new screws one in each hand. Heads towards your palms. Then hold the screw shanks against each other so they mesh. Then hold them up to the light to see the engagement. If they're the same pitch you should have uniform daylight across the meshed area.

Gaz64 01-02-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gduncan (Post 1435547)
Finally had a chance to get back to the install and no luck. The new countersunk screws do not thread all the way into the transmission shaft. The old countersunk screws thread all the way into the transmission, but do no pull the adapter plate tight to the transmission shaft. So, I just walked away to clear my head...

The countersunk holes are too big for the screws?

DanEC 01-02-2018 04:22 PM

Sounds like the old ones are too long. If so they could be cut down and shortened. Possibly some T10 tail housings were drilled and tapped slightly differently (depth).

gduncan 01-03-2018 05:36 PM

I took both screws, checked them on my bolt/nut thread checker... If I remember correctly, (I checked them way too early this morning and it's been a rough day.) the old screw ran all the way into the 5/16 x 18. The new screw threaded about a 1/4" then stopped.

I have another toploader transmission out of my '67 GT Mustang and I'm going to take the adapter plate and the screws from that transmission and try them on the Cobra transmission and see what I come up with.

I appreciate all the input.

DanEC 01-04-2018 05:11 AM

If you haven't already - you might want to run a thread chaser in to clean the threads (not a tap). But unless the old bolt is worn undersized it's unlikely to be the issue.

gduncan 01-04-2018 08:11 AM

I have not run a thread chaser yet. It's been a hell of a week with vehicles around here...

Two work vans went down and I got one up and running. Waiting on parts for the other. One of my guys didn't plug in our box truck and that was an SOB to get started in the bitter cold here in MD. Wife's SUV needed a strut and a ball joint. That's almost done.

Squeezing in time to work on my toys has been a challenge. :)

gduncan 01-12-2018 06:53 PM

Try to stay with me... It gets confusing after a while.

I removed the adapter plate and screws from toploader in my '67 Mustang. The adapter plate and screws from the '67 did not pull the adapter plate tight to the Cobra toploader.

I tried the screws from the old shifter linkage, they too did not pull the adapter plate tight to the transmission.

I left the new adapter plate that came with my new shifter linkage at my office, so I can't try the new adapter plate with the screws from my '67.

I still have not run a thread chaser. I am discovering the countersunk holes in the adapter plates are two different sizes.

The screws are different pitches and lengths as well. I'll keep everyone posted and thanks for all the help.

gduncan 05-03-2018 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally had the time and figured out most of the linkage, adapter plate, and screws. I'm ready to install the shifter handle with reverse lock out. I've included a picture of the bolt, washer, busing a spring. Can anyone tell me where the spring fits into this equation?

Thank you...

gduncan 05-07-2018 07:26 AM

I figured it out...