Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Transmission Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/)
-   -   output shaft seal (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/143520-output-shaft-seal.html)

Larry A Davis 04-24-2020 07:25 AM

output shaft seal

My Tremec t56 Magnum trans is leaking fluid. It is apparently due to a bad output shaft seal. I was told that due to a severe pinion angle of the driveshaft, a new seal may not work for long. Does that sound correct? I know nothing about transmissions and cannot see anything under the car without a lift. No jack will fit under the car either. I am in a rural area with no shops locally. May just replace the seal and sell the car.

67sn8ke 04-24-2020 11:19 AM

I would think severe pinion angle would wear U-Joint's out more then anything and shouldn't have anything to do with the output shaft seal leaking. Changing the seal shouldn't be a problem if you can get your car off of the ground to get to it. Just my 2 cents!!

1795 04-24-2020 12:22 PM

You may have to get a low profile jack, or you can try either over inflating the tires to gain some ground clearance or placing some two by tens on the floor and drive on top of them (that will gain you an 1 1/2" of height.

If the pinion angle is bad and you are getting an oil leak, then my guess would be that the U joints are starting to fail and that is causing excessive movement in the yoke which then is disturbing the seal on the output shaft.

Unique427 04-24-2020 05:09 PM

Build (2) wheel ramps from stacked 2x8's and drive up on them.
Just make sure the angle of incline is not too steep or the scraping sound will be most unpleasant.
This should provide a considerable amount of additional ground clearance.
Here's a DIY video reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQOIQVffO8o

2-1/2 ton hydraulic jack can do the remainder onto jack stands if needed.
Be sure to chock the front wheels if lifting the back off the ground or it will roll.

Gaz64 04-24-2020 08:28 PM

Whenever I get a vehicle with a shaft seal leak, I check the shaft movement.
Many times, excessive shaft movement inside a trans bush, or pinion bearings, is the cause of the leak.

Poor driveshaft design could be wearing the trans output shaft rear bush and hence the oil leak.

Larry A Davis 04-25-2020 07:07 AM

Trans problems

Thanks to all who responded. I need to check the driveshaft for excessive up and down movement which would indicate the bushing is bad as well. I don't know if this is normal wear for the most part or what. I have ordered the seal but can't really find the bushing if needed. Any idea's as to where that item can be found? I've discovered since the trans is probably aftermarket Tremec as opposed to an OEM it's a crap shoot. Not even sure the seal I ordered is correct.

Rummy 04-26-2020 08:15 AM

I would try the seal first before getting too excited about anything else. It's inexpensive and a quick fix.

ERA 626 04-26-2020 12:55 PM

just drive your front end up on a couple 2X4s then slide the jack under... I agree, the pinion angle has nothing to do with the seal... check for excessive movement.

Larry A Davis 04-27-2020 04:23 AM

Again, thanks.

hauss 04-27-2020 09:27 AM

silly seal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rummy (Post 1475568)
I would try the seal first before getting too excited about anything else. It's inexpensive and a quick fix.

What he said. Could be a lot of things ,as long as you could feel no vibrations from the driveline you should be fine.