Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Transmission Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/)
-   -   I need help with Tranny (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/143717-i-need-help-tranny.html)

sunbum 06-08-2020 05:31 AM

I need help with Tranny

Hi all,

I have a FF with a 88 Mustang GT powertrain. (5.0 EFI and 5 speed manual).

I broke 2nd gear yesterday and would like to upgrade the whole tranny. Any suggestions that would bolt up??

TIA

olddog 06-08-2020 08:50 AM

The TKO 600 comes to mind. You do not need that heavy duty with a 5.0 engine. The TKO 500 would do, but I don't know if they can still be purchased new.

Now come the OD ratio. Go with the .82 OD. I have grown to hate the .64 in my Cobra.

You have to get the right spline and input shaft length. Not sure if the drive shaft length will need to be changed.

ERA 626 06-08-2020 10:39 AM

agree the TKO 600 is good for 600 HP/600 ft pounds... You can buy it from modern Drive line. I strongly agree with the .82 (road race version) I did in my CSX.

Dwight 06-08-2020 06:01 PM

TKO 500 should be a drop in for his 5.0 / T-5. His 5.0 is probably not making 500 foot pounds of torque. But I like the 2.97 first gear in the 600 vs 3.27 in the 500.

And I love the .64 O.D. But you have to have a cam with low end torque. More of a street motor than race motor.

We have swapped out .84 for .68 after a month or so of driving. But each to his own.

LMH 06-08-2020 07:53 PM

Do you currently have a T-5? Rebuild/modify it as you'll never have a better shifting transmission in there!
Larry

HUBBELL RACING 06-09-2020 09:30 AM

Is he Pre op or Post op ?

Anthony 06-09-2020 10:33 AM

I like keeping things simple. Assuming you have a T5.

If you're planning on keeping the car, there are severeal tranny companies that beef up the T5, making it stronger, and that is what I would do. It may even be stronger than a TKO500 ?

If you are planning on getting rid of the car, I'd just swap in another stock T5

bobcowan 06-09-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1478136)
Do you currently have a T-5? Rebuild/modify it as you'll never have a better shifting transmission in there!
Larry

I agree with this. The TKO is nice if you're racing, or have a lot of power. Doesn't sound like either applies to you. The TKO usually requires some different parts to install, it's bigger, and heavier. Shifting is a bit notchy.

Your 5.0 in a 2,000 pound car isn't putting out enough power to lunch a stock transmission. Yours broke because it's 35 years old! That's like 112 in human years. ;)

Buy a rebuild kit and a new cluster and rebuild what you have. You'll end up with something better than original for 1/3 the price. If you don't want to rebuild it yourself, call Mike Forte and order a new WC T-5 and drop it in. If you want something special, call Gordon Levy and order one of his.

Personally, I would call Gordon for my next manual trans.

twobjshelbys 06-09-2020 01:02 PM

At first I thought this was about something entirely different.

Does anyone do rebuilds take a core credit? In the interest of minimizing downtime it might be best just to get a rebuilt and return your core for credit. After all, there is no "numbers matching" to preserve here.

FredG 06-09-2020 07:29 PM

Rebuild.....

tortuga 06-10-2020 07:05 AM

What I was thinking

Quote:

Originally Posted by HUBBELL RACING (Post 1478163)
Is he Pre op or Post op ?

LOL Means a WHOLE other thing here in Commiefornia...

lnfletcher 06-10-2020 08:39 AM

I agree with Dwight, I love my .64 with 3.50 gears but I do have torque. Gives me great cruising on the interstate 2100 at a little over 70.
I never use 5th for any other roads but the interstate.