Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Transmission Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/)
-   -   TKO600 What fluid ?? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/145201-tko600-what-fluid.html)

MaSnaka 09-19-2021 12:33 PM

TKO600 What fluid ??

I was re-installing my trans and spilled a bunch of fluid out the tail end. What is the best fluid to use. Figure I will drain the rest and call it an oil change instead of topping off.

Thanks,
John

cycleguy55 09-19-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaSnaka (Post 1497246)
I was re-installing my trans and spilled a bunch of fluid out the tail end. What is the best fluid to use. Figure I will drain the rest and call it an oil change instead of topping off.

Thanks,
John

"For all TKO 5-speed models, TREMEC recommends TREMEC HP-MTF, GM Synchromesh™ or Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. For all other aftermarket models we recommend Dexron III ATF."

https://www.tremec.com/faqs.php

twobjshelbys 09-19-2021 01:53 PM

If you don't know what's in it just replace it all rather than take a chance on mixing different types.

patrickt 09-19-2021 02:33 PM

And some of us don't fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole.

Mark IV 09-19-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1497250)
And some of us don't fill it up to the bottom of the fill hole.

Yep, should be about 1/4" BELOW the fill port. Shifts better that way and Tremec admitted their instructions are wrong.

Grubby 09-19-2021 03:57 PM

GM Syncromesh or Tremec has their own fluid now. I purchased it from Summit.

John

patrickt 09-19-2021 04:26 PM

In Tremec's 2018 Performance Product Guide it says that their HP-MTF transmission fluid is only for Tremec transmissions produced from 2008 on. My TKO was built before then so I contacted them to see if the HP-MTF stuff was ok or not for my older TKO. They told me that the year reference was for differentiating the 6-speeds, T56 as opposed to the TR6060 - the TR6060 wasn't released until 2008. So there's a little trivia for you, and yes the stuff is good for older TKOs.:cool:

MaSnaka 09-19-2021 04:56 PM

Thanks guys!!

saki302 09-20-2021 06:09 PM

Cobra valley sells their ultrashift fluid for TKOs. I'm running it, and it's great so far. It's supposed to improve shift feel, but mine wasn't terrible to begin with.

hauss 09-21-2021 11:01 AM

Pennzoil makes syncromesh gear oil great stuff cheap and works.

67sn8ke 11-24-2021 08:15 PM

Amsoil Syncromesh is what I'm using and it works great nice and smooth TKO 600.

RockBit 11-25-2021 07:23 AM

GM Syncromesh seems to work well in my TKO600. It is a 2016 model.

kitcarbp 11-25-2021 08:10 AM

For my TKO600 built circa 2005, I ran the GM Synchromesh for a few hundred miles and then replaced it with readily available Penzoil product Tremec recommended in their tech literature. It still does not have a smooth 1st-2nd gear shift so its the box not the fluid. Its fine for the street, but would be clumsy if racing in that 1-2 shift since its a bit notchy.