Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Upstate Super Replicars--Speak with Bill Connelly (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/upstate-super-replicars-speak-bill-connelly/)
-   -   Linkage for webers (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/upstate-super-replicars-speak-bill-connelly/3935-linkage-webers.html)

zimmy 03-23-2001 04:01 PM

Hey Bill:

It's Corey Zimmerman from Virginia. Good to be able to write to you. I have a question for you. I just purchased a complete weber system from Inglese. It has a center pull linkage system. Do you have a solution for how to convert my Contemporary linkage that went to the 750 Holley I had to the center pull Weber set up? I was hoping that you had done this for someone already. Let me know, please. Thanks.

CoupeBill 07-01-2002 09:29 AM

Weber Linkage!

Corey, I believed we talked at the Carlisle meet about this situation and I believe you got it squared away. If not send me an email or give me a call so we can get it fixed for you!

Bill Connelly
Upstate Super Replicars, Inc.
www.daytona-coupe.com
427cobra@compuserve.com

zimmy 07-01-2002 11:28 AM

Thanks, Bill for the response and thoughts. Welcome to ClubCobra!

I have definitely solved the linkage problem. The engine tune is another story. I thought that I was getting pretty close to a proper tune on the Weber setup. Last Saturday our local Capital Area Cobra Club took a bunch of our cars to a dyno for a group rate package. Thought it would certainly be great to get a baseline for working from. Total disappointment and embarrassment! The monster only pulled 250 HP on the best of the three pulls. :( :confused:

Eventhough I have smaller jets than most thought it should run, it is running very rich (which does help explain the backfire on decel). Since the engine was built 12 years ago by guys in KY that are no longer there and it was originally bought through Burt Kerns (you remember that thief, right?), I really don't know much about the engine. I am not even sure what the compression ratio is. Right now I am guessing that the ratio is fairly low and that the heads are not flowing very good.

I am thinking about finding a good engine shop that is experienced with FEs and hopefully Webers that can freshen up the engine and improve the performance - maybe new aluminum heads. Do you know anyone that fits this bill? Have you heard of Active Racing Engines outside of Toronto? They are building up a restoration of a 289 from a GT350 and they are going to convert it to Webers. It is being done on Dream Car Garage on Speedvision. Maybe they could help. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Corey Zimmerman

CoupeBill 07-01-2002 12:27 PM

Weber Linkage

Corey, you may want to check with our newest dealer Kim Haynes of Racetorations in Gastonis, NC. KIm, has been messing around with big block FE's for longer than me. Besides that he isn't too far from you! You can contact him at:
Kim Haynes
c/o Racetorations
2711 Robinwood Rd.
Gastonia, NC 28054
Tel (704) 865-9473
Fax # (704) 866-4436
Email: khrace@quik.com
www.racetorations.com

PS, have you attempted to contact Enzo Alibrandi on jet size for the Webers? He maybe able to assist you.

Bill Connelly
www.daytona-coupe.com
427cobra@compuserve.com

427Aggie 07-01-2002 12:55 PM

I had a good response and it got erased...oh well...How are your carbs setup currently? I do not trust Inglese for setting them up for you.

The carbs will probably not be your problem on the dyno. I would look at your timing and then start with your pipes. I picked up 40lbft of torque by changing my pipes recently....I acutally lost 6 horsepower (i think thats more tuning on the carbs)

Post your current settings on the carbs...I love to see what others are running (especially since I am still trying to get mine right)

Matt

zimmy 07-01-2002 01:54 PM

Matt:

I don't think my pipes are an issue as they are essentially open pipes. I can look all the way in them to the 4 into 1 collector from the headers.

I currently am running 55 idle jets with 110 holders and 160 mains with 210 air correctors. As I said in my previous post, these are running very rich. Doesn't make too much sense. Most people's advice would be running larger jets all around. These are smaller than most and still very rich. Oh, well.

Bill:

Thanks for the contact. I'll probably give him a call.

Yes, I have spoken and emailed Enzo several times. The jets that he recommends will make me even richer. That's why I think that I have something else very different in my engine than most (compression ratio is suspected). Enzo runs the same Weber set on his 427 FE and has no problems. So either my engine is very different somehow or the Webers from Inglese were rebuilt badly and have a major problem. I am sooooo confused.

Take care:

Zimmy ::confused: :CRY:

CoupeBill 07-01-2002 02:13 PM

Weber setup!

Corey, I have only setup one set of Webers. If my memory hasn't failed me I had an issue with the emulsion tubes! The bottom circumference on these tubes need to have a knife edge finish on them. You may want to check yours out!

Bill Connelly
www.daytona-coupe.com
427cobra@compuserve.com

zimmy 07-01-2002 04:18 PM

Thanks, Bill. I'll be sure to check them out. Our local club just got a new member that purchased a Don Borders built Contemporary with 427 SO. I told him about you in case he needs any help or parts or work done. I'll pass along your specific info.

Thanks again.

Zimmy

427Aggie 07-01-2002 05:20 PM

Zimmy,

Not sure if your pipes are really open...what I found out on mine where that the baffles were restricted down to a 2" pipe and now with the high flow muffler it opened things up quite a bit.

On the jets...I am at 120 holders with 65 idles and F7 tubes with 210 air correctors and 150 mains with 55 bypass valves and 37mm chokes...I am still running rich but I am closer.

What size Chokes are you running and are you running air cleaners on the stacks?"I actually just looked in your photo gallery...do those filters have a dense foam piece in them? If so you probably will never get them right....I finally just said to hell with it and run them open" I found with air cleaners I was running 110 mains and still was putting 4' flames out the sidepipes from all the gas.

Matt

zimmy 07-02-2002 05:27 PM

Matt:

No I don't run with any air cleaners, just the screens over the stacks. I am also running 37mm chokes. After a bad dyno run tis past weekend and a call with Inglese and a discussion with a local Ford race engine builder, I have come to the sad realization that my engine has very low compression ratio. Am going to haver to pull the engine after the summer season and get it reworked for higher compression ratio. Until then it will have to run rich and backfire.

Oh, Well.

Zimmy