Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Weber Tuning (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/weber-tuning/)
-   -   Redline Fuel Management (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/weber-tuning/144649-redline-fuel-management.html)

65arboc 03-27-2021 12:57 PM

Redline Fuel Management

Hi,
New to this forum. Does anyone have a Weber setup from these people? I have one on my 289 Ford and can't seem to get it tuned properly.

Thanks,
Jim

Earl J 04-22-2021 06:13 PM

Hello Jim,

I currently run 48 IDA’s on a 65 GT350, I’m up in Northern NY originally from the SF Bay Area CA. Few Questions for you what are you running for:
Size Venturies/Chokes?
Emulsion tubes?
Air Correctors?
main Jets?
Idle Jets?
ByPass Jets? (At the bottom of the bowls)
Discharge nozzles?
Most importantly, are your floats (fuel level adjusted properly)?
Fuel pressure no more than 2.5-3.0 psi
Cam Shaft lobe seperation?

Sorry for the long list, but I need to know in order to help you.
Cheers
~Earl J

bobcowan 04-22-2021 06:58 PM

On a Individual Runner (IR) system - both carb and EFI - the most important step is to balance the throttle bodies/carbs. If the linkage and balance is not exactly right, no amount of tuning will make it run right.

1795 04-23-2021 04:06 AM

What exactly is the problem that you are experiencing? It would be helpful in trying to diagnose. It could be anything from the carbs being out of balance, to jetting, to linkage issues.

Jim

Gaz64 04-23-2021 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl J (Post 1492152)
Hello Jim,

I currently run 48 IDA’s on a 65 GT350, I’m up in Northern NY originally from the SF Bay Area CA. Few Questions for you what are you running for:
Size Venturies/Chokes?
Emulsion tubes?
Air Correctors?
main Jets?
Idle Jets?
Discharge nozzles?

Cheers
~Earl J

I think Jim is asking about Redline EFI, not Weber IDA carbs.

65arboc 07-26-2021 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earl J (Post 1492152)
Hello Jim,

Size Venturies/Chokes?
Emulsion tubes?
Air Correctors?
main Jets?
Idle Jets?
Discharge nozzles?

Cheers
~Earl J

Hi Earl,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, as I have been having some medical procedures done in the past few months and have not felt like messing with the car. Now I am feeling somewhat better and feel like trying to get things done that have been neglected for some time.

Let me start by telling you what I know for sure: I purchased my set up from Redline Fuel Management back in March of 2021. It came as a complete set up with the 48IDA carbs mounted and the linkage adjusted according to their factory specs. Even though they said the float levels were set properly, I made a gauge and checked each carb and found set levels to be correct. I also ordered a correct flow meter from them and proceded to adjust the linkages so all the carbs flowed the same at idle and at 1500 rpm.
Then I adjusted the idle mixture screws to get best idle and went back and checked the flow meter on each carb. The engine started fine and idled well but seemed to run very rich and back fired out the exhaust when running above 2000 rpm.. I finally got through to a tech person at RFM and he suggested changing the idle jets from the current .070 to a smaller size so I ordered a set of .060 and a set of .065. The .065 seemed to give me the best idle with less unburned fuel odor. Instead of going further with my frustrated explaination I will tell you what I have ended up with now.

289 block bored .030, stock iron heads and valves
Chokes are 37
Emulsion Tubes are F7
Air correctors are 195- changed from 120
Main Jets-? .135 , I think
Idle Jets are .065
By pass Jets are non vented/ tried .050 vented but made stumble worse
Discharge nozzels are .050
Floats properly set
Fuel pressure is 2.5 to 3 lbs
Cam is a Comp, grind number FS-280H-10 Lobe seperation is 110.0 Duration is 231 for both I & E
Distributer is a Pertronics Flame Thrower 3 non Vacuum Advance type
Coil is a Pertronics FlameThrower 3 -.032 ohm
Timing is set at 16 degrees initial with 36 degrees all in
Plugs now are NGK WR5 with .040 gap.

So there you have it, Earl

Right now engine starts almost instantly and runs like it never has before. acceleration is strong and instantanious except for a slight hesation when the butterfly plates transition across the 2 holes in the venturies.
Redline tech told me I may never get this stumble fixed.

I can drive the car and am happy with the performance except for the stumble.

Where in New York are you located? I am in Warren, Pa.

Thanks Earl for taking an interest in my problem.

Sincerely,
Jim

Gaz64 07-26-2021 06:17 PM

Hello Jim,

Can you clarify what emulsion tube you have, like F7 as example?
120 is not a Weber IDA emulsion tube number.
That could be your idle jet holder.
You could also solve your light throttle stumble by adding the IDA 3rd progression hole.

Gary

65arboc 07-27-2021 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1495208)
Hello Jim,

Can you clarify what emulsion tube you have, like F7 as example?
120 is not a Weber IDA emulsion tube number.
That could be your idle jet holder.
You could also solve your light throttle stumble by adding the IDA 3rd progression hole.

Gary

Gary,

I stand corrected, emulsion tube is F7, 120 is idle jet holder.

Thanks. I do not have the equipment nor the expertise to drill 3rd hole as I have reasearched that option, One really needs to be precise else you ruin a very expensive set of carbs.:CRY:

Thanks,

Jim

1795 07-27-2021 03:56 AM

Jim,

I would not consider myself an expert on Webers, and different engines have different needs. It looks like you are about 2 hours and 45 minutes southwest of me. Several of the guys that I know who race vintage cars with Webers went to a guy in Syracuse, NY that knows Webers and has a chassis dyno. He tuned their cars on the dyno and they all seemed happy with the results. I am planning on taking the race car there to have the Webers tuned to make sure that I am maximizing the cars potential and ensuring that I am not running lean.

My settings are much different than yours, but again, mine is a race car with a lot more aggressive cam, compression ratio and the tuning will be focused on WOT as opposed to driving it n the road. It would probably be about a 3.5-4 hour drive for you, but may be worth the time and money to get it set right. I will say that 48 IDA's are more of a race carb than the 48 IDF's, which are more street friendly.

Good luck.

Jim

KarlzEE Bebout 07-27-2021 11:42 AM

'65 Jim, Something you may want to consider is to find someone that has a history of high performance VW powdered cars. Many of them have been dealing with Webers a long time and could probably help you. My "Weber" guy is just such. He's gotten my 44IDFs nicely dialed in and I'm happy. I only mention this because I would have never thought about looking for a VW mechanic. (I'd spoken to a guy at Red Line a few years ago and he told me about my guy that is only about 20 miles from me. Just my 2¢ worth.

1795 07-27-2021 04:30 PM

Jim,

I just made an appointment to take the FIA race car to the person near Syracuse to have the Webers dyno tuned. It will be on August 12 at 2 pm. You are welcome to come along for the ride to see it and decide if you want to take your car there. All it will cost you is your time and fuel from your house to mine and back. I may have two other people going along for the trip. You would need to be to my house by noon that day and you probably would not be getting home until late. PM me if interested.

Jim

65arboc 07-29-2021 07:47 AM

Hi All

Thanks for your replies and comments and suggestions. All are appreciated. The only one I have not heard back from is Earl who was the first to reply and with questions I have answered. Does anyone know how to reach him besides on this forum?

Thanks,

Jim