10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

[quote=Buzz;1146001]
Edit - re the Lotus: 1500KG is way heavier than most Cobras - surely it was lighter than that?

Buzz, yep you are right, I mispoke, the Lotus was mid engine and turbo charged, behind the driver anyway, thus my "rear engine" comment and had a curb weight of 1,800 Pounds (818 Kilograms) I guess I was thinking of pounds but wrote kg. mea culpa. tin-man
Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FRR MKIII 408w
Not Ranked     

Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

Guys, he's lifting because he's running out of road...

Suggestion: More brakes going in, hit your line, apex a little later, power out to edge.

The kink at Road America is the ultimate no-lift corner. Your line is what it is, whether you are headed off the edge, into the grass, or whatever. Your ass is stuck. Lift = crash into inside wall. I've lifted just slightly there to avoid other racers, and barely saved it, even knowing what was going to happen.

As mentioned, you need to alter your apex to be later, or slow down more on the entry, or both. That will let you power out, staying stable, and not run out of track.

Last edited by cdog; 08-18-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Take turn ONE differently!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #647 brushed
Not Ranked     

Nice job! Good for you to keep trying too, too many people would have packed it home. I would have done the same. I have had bad track days (in a shifter kart), where I just keep going off for one reason and another, but you gotta keep trying till you find that right line/way to drive (but breaks are a good idea to change shorts or cool the nerves )
Just curious, what kind of lap times do you run in a Cobra at Blackhawk? I raced there two weekends ago in my shifter and was running in the 1:14s (ok day).

A
Old 08-18-2011, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

High 1:20's, low to mid 1:30's. Lot's of guys we teens and 1:20's, I have a lot to learn
Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you thought about doing a kart??? the circuit around here runs all the name tracks---Black Hawk, Gingerman, Gratton, Road America, Putman, IRP, Mid Ohio
Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

I don't own a kart, sounds fun though
Old 08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles roybal View Post
Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
Blackhawk Farms Raceway (PICTURES)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbocobra View Post
Jimbo, you need to get some in car driving lessons from an experienced performance driving instructor. You don't need Michael Shumacher or Boris Said to give you lessons. You don't even need somebody with Cobra experience. You need to learn the basics and then your lap times will get better and you will stop spinning like a Ballerina.

I see you have posted some 1/4 mile times and while they are impressive they do not transfer to the road course.

Finally you will not learn anything from internet instruction
you need somebody IN THE CAR with you.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post
Jimbo, you need to get some in car driving lessons from an experienced performance driving instructor. You don't need Michael Shumacher or Boris Said to give you lessons. You don't even need somebody with Cobra experience. You need to learn the basics and then your lap times will get better and you will stop spinning like a Ballerina.

I see you have posted some 1/4 mile times and while they are impressive they do not transfer to the road course.

Good luck.
+100
I remember my 2cd day out with an instructor like it was yesterday. Going from one turn to another there was a pretty good "dip" in the track right in the braking zone,but I was sooooooooo sssssssllllllllllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwww it didn't really affect me or the car.
The second day out,I was getting quicker and went thru the "dip" and as I came out under braking, the rear end got light and the rear brakes locked up. We had in-car comunications and the instrucdtor saw I was kinda "spooked" as the car had not done that before. I said to him WFT just happened,he said since I had picked up quite a bit of speed in that section, the dip now became a problem,so I said, WFT do I do now to get thru it safely, so he told me how to alter my line a little and change up my braking a little and before I knew it, I was flying thru that spot with no problems........
This is what an instructor can do for you as well as coach you thru your bad/wrong driving habits, which I had my share also......

David

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 08-19-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99 View Post

Good luck.
hmmmm....maybe we could set up a session at VIR, Roger and show them how....what do you think? Come on up David...bring some more Cajun likker.

Drag Racing/Road Racing = night/day

Road Racing...muy goodo.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
hmmmm....maybe we could set up a session at VIR, Roger and show them how....what do you think? Come on up David...bring some more Cajun likker.

Drag Racing/Road Racing = night/day

Road Racing...muy goodo.
I'm all for it,would sure be nice to see you'll again.......
+100 on the drag/road racing too....at the track down here, there is also a drag strip....I'd guess at least half the drivers are former drag racers and once they did some open track days, they swore they would never go back to drag racing again.....I've done both and the seat time,fun factor just doesn't compare......

David
Old 08-19-2011, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
I'm all for it,would sure be nice to see you'll again.......
+100 on the drag/road racing too....at the track down here, there is also a drag strip....I'd guess at least half the drivers are former drag racers and once they did some open track days, they swore they would never go back to drag racing again.....I've done both and the seat time,fun factor just doesn't compare......

David
Tru dat...I was a drag racer most of my life until Herr Crankster pulled me over to The Dark Side in the 90s.....now I wonder why I ever wasted my time...sit in the pits for 3 hours just to make a 12 sec 1/4 mile run versus running a 3+ mile road course for an hour at a time?!?!?!?

No contest!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Quick question on Blackhawk Farms and your Cobra. How loud is your car? I was thinking of running there but wasn't sure I would pass the noise ordinance.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree about drag racing isn't road racing----
And I don't think I ever ran a 12 second quarter

But----I do know Jimbo, his car and Black Hawk Farms----he needs to change his turn ONE so he can get thru turn TWO-----
Old 08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

From my experience the fastest with a Cobra is "slow in...and fast out" of the turn that is .
Old 08-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Great efforts Jimbo. Love to hear the stories from the track.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll get better, I can't get a pro intstuctor in the car because I only have one roll hoop.

Last edited by Jimbocobra; 08-20-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbocobra View Post
I'll get better, I can't get a pro intstuctor in the car because I only have one roll hoop.
Check with the track about instructions and such. Sign up for an HDPE day/days school, if need be, do the track day in your wife's car. Most any car will do as the basics apply to the proper driving techniques regardless of what kind of car your driving.

David

Tags
360, bdr, race, track