Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Mk3.1 / 347
Not Ranked     
Default Some pics of my Factory Five build

I haven't been very active on this forum, but I know quite a few WCCC members from various car shows around the area, including the large show in Amboy that seems to draw quite a few of you each fall. I've been working on FFR 7074 for nearly three years, but only Lee R. has had a chance to see it and that was at the early stage. So, I thought I'd post some pictures as I'm getting pretty close to the first attempt to start it.

Other than the big brakes, 17" wheels, and the typical FFR body inaccuracies, my goal is a period-correct looking replica. The body work will begin shortly and I hope to drop it off at the painter before winter. It's going to be painted '66 Ford Ivy Green with no stripes. It'll have bumpers, too, but the rest of the touches on it will be pure S/C - side pipes, rollbar, riveted hood scoop, instrument layout, etc...

Some of the parts that are on the car in the photos were done for mock-up purposes and for display purposes (driver's seat, passenger seat mounts, driver's door, rollbar, etc...) because I'm loading it onto the trailer and taking it to the local cruise night tomorrow and, if the weather is good, to the Kane County Sheriff's car show this weekend.

Thanks to all of you who let me look at your cars and get ideas for my build. I'm looking forward to joining you at some events next summer with my own car - until then, I'll just keep enjoying the journey of the build.

Last edited by CCRsAC; 08-29-2012 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: Corrected a typo.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Nice looking build. Have you picked a color yet?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Great work, congratulations!

Regards.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

A well done FF is an impressive site. Great work.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

Looks great, Chris, I hope to see it in person this weekend if the weather holds.

Lee
Old 08-31-2012, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

looks nice, curious how many hours into it this far? how much more to get it done (before paint)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

Heater hose runs on the outside at the mid length around vertical tube. How easy will it be to replace it, when the time comes?? Mine is on the inside and if I had to reach to the outside, I could touch it, but it would be hard to wrench anything.

The thing some builders miss is the accessibility after the body is on. Look to see how hard it will be to get to everything from under the dash panel also.

You most likely thought these things through, but just in case...

Also consider putting "GOOP" Automotive Sealant over all the grounding joints, including the bolts. I did and have removed several and you have to work at it some, but it does come off. Did you grind off all paint under the grounds to get the best contact?? In the aero industry we cannot rely on the threads to be the ground path, it must be a metal to metal surface in contact.

Lee
Old 09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRRCobradreamer View Post
Heater hose runs on the outside at the mid length around vertical tube. How easy will it be to replace it, when the time comes?? Mine is on the inside and if I had to reach to the outside, I could touch it, but it would be hard to wrench anything.

The thing some builders miss is the accessibility after the body is on. Look to see how hard it will be to get to everything from under the dash panel also.

You most likely thought these things through, but just in case...

Also consider putting "GOOP" Automotive Sealant over all the grounding joints, including the bolts. I did and have removed several and you have to work at it some, but it does come off. Did you grind off all paint under the grounds to get the best contact?? In the aero industry we cannot rely on the threads to be the ground path, it must be a metal to metal surface in contact.

Lee
Lee,

1) heater hose - All the connections for the heater hose are accessible from through the hood opening. The hoses that run around the outside of the vertical tube are held in place by a clip only, no need to get a wrench on it to remove them. The clip/bracket is the same used on GM cars to hold the heater hoses on the inner fender - saw it on my wife's '67 Camaro and thought it would be just the trick for accessibility.

2) I've spent a lot of time working on accessibility issues, but the dash is the one that's giving me the most challenge as I have quite a bit of stuff going on there. I'm still working through the final solution, though, but it should be okay in the end. The same for in the engine compartment, underside, and trunk (i.e., access panels to critical suspension and gas tank areas.

3) grounds - yep, used a dremel to remove powdercoat down to bare metal for all the grounds so far, then a good coating of dielectric grease before bolting down the leads.

Thanks for the tips and caution - sometimes it helps to step back, sit in my chair, and think something through before drilling a hole or mounting a part.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by merim123 View Post
looks nice, curious how many hours into it this far? how much more to get it done (before paint)
Oh man... I couldn't say because I stopped keeping track very early in the project. I don't work particularly fast, but I do spend quite a bit of time on it - sometimes just sitting there noodling through an issue. I've been working on it for three years (this October) and I usually spend 4 - 6 hours in the shop on Saturdays and an hour here and there on a few evenings through the week. I'd say that I easily have 500 plus hours in it so far, though, if I had to guess.

Other than bodywork (and the associated parts install - lights, wipers, windshield, bumpers, etc...), about all that is left is the wiring and interior work. I had a bit of a delay in first start this weekend due to some other things that crowded into my schedule, but I'm hoping to hot wire it in the next week or two and get it running. I'll probably try to do the first go-kart then, too. After that, I'm going to focus on the body and do a good portion of that work myself before dropping it off at a friend's shop for the final smoothing and paint. While he's doing that, I'll work through anything that comes up during first start and go-kart, as well as finishing the interior stuff. The goal is to have it buttoned-up in time for nice weather after this winter.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleVenom View Post
Nice looking build. Have you picked a color yet?
Yep - '66 Mustang Ivy Green - same as John O's street-look body for his FFR and his new 289 slabside body. You can see his awesome cars and the color on his threads on the other forums for FFRs. I think he even has a thread here at ClubCobra regarding the 289 project with Bruce C.