Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Cobra Talk Areas > Originality Forum

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2021
S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By xb-60
  • 2 Post By sunman

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default COX 6000 Cobras

I am hoping that some one here can help me on some Cobra trivia that has bugged me for at least 35 or so years. I know what CSX stands for. C third iteration of the the Tojeiro Ace design. S for Shelby and X for export. So on the COB and COX cars, C is as above, X is also as above and B is for UK, mainly right hand drive, though some B were exported and some X remained in England. So what the heck does O stand for?
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2021, 05:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hello Harpoon.

Easy explanation. According to the World Registry, UK Cobras had the prefix COB for "CObra Britain"
and COX cars were "CObra eXport", covering left hand drive cars for sale in Europe.
The four digit number that followed both the COB and COX prefixes numbered from 6001 through to 6062.

I believe that the prefix "CSX" comes from "Carroll Shelby Experimental", not "export".
Arguably, the "C" in COB and COX could refer to those English/Continental COB/COX cars being the "C" iteration of the AC Ace.

Cheers!
Glen
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 06-10-2021 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 06-10-2021, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 93 chassis 96 body Classic Roadsters 86 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

The AC’s in first Vin numbers had AC’s engines. The BE in second design stood for “Bristol Engine” not B version. Production of the Bristol engine stopped in 1961
1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.

Last edited by sunman; 06-10-2021 at 09:36 AM..
Old 06-10-2021, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Remember that the Bristol engine Ace was not the car immediately preceding the Cobra. That was the RS2.6. Cobra's early in production, were still referred to as Ace's.

Larry
Old 06-10-2021, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LMH is correct, the Ford Zephyr 2.9, (not to be confused with our V12 Zephyr engines) powered the true third iteration. With the new engine and face lift, it should have been C, then 260-289 Cobras D and 427, with it's complete overhaul should have been D. However we are talking AC, which belonged to the Hurlock family. AC LTD could have bought Carrol out of petty cash! AC cars was a hobby for Derick Hurlock.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just found out what O stands for, Other, meaning not assembled by Shelby, instead Assembled by AC. Although, that levees out Ed Hugas and TASCA Ford, who assembled early Cobras back East. Ed sold the first private Cobra, CSX2001. If you want to see some wild badge placement on a Cobra, then look it up, not talking about what it looks like today, but back in 62. That car had on it's nose, the winged Shelby AC Cobra badge, then below it the AC round medallion. At least one other car had the same placement. If you don't know who Ed was, he's the one who saved Shelby twice! Once at the beginning, when the whole Cobra thing was starting out and then, when Ford was going to take the Cobra program away, Ed talked Ford into sending an accountant to get things somewhat into the black instead.

Last edited by Harpoon PV2; 06-10-2021 at 11:40 PM..
Old 06-10-2021, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The X for experimental can be disproved easily, both the Ac engine and Bristol powered Ace and Aceca used X for left hand cars, exported. As for the CObra, well old wives tails die hard!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: