View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
They repro just about everything these days but some stuff they dont. -- there are still holes in the 289 hipo land.

Tim , is there a particular year/race car you are trying to emulate >?

Specifically in engine land , there are a few key items that will point your build in a particular direction.

like , some of the early 289s had an oil fill in the front timing cover, and solid (no holes) in the valve cover.

I have several various vintage 289 blocks and can show you the differences in person. --

Larry is working on a vintage 289 build right now for a customer that would be a good reference piece for this project.

I also am working up a 289 D code build here in the next few weeks as we have a 64.5 convertible we are working on with a build date of 4.16.64.

(made the night before the mustang was released)

Steve

Steve,

Not trying to duplicate a particular motor, just a 289 or 302 that looks close to the motors used back in the day, but that has modern internals like a roller cam and high performance aluminum heads (but with standard height valve covers).

It would be interesting to look at what you guys are up to ... send me a PM to let me know when you are in the shop and I'll stop by.

Thanks!

- Tim

P.S. A motor made on the eve of the Mustang Introduction ... now that's cool!