View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The proper way to do it is to remove the carrier & the pinion so the crush sleeve can be replaced. That being said, most of my customers do not want to pay the extra money to have it done "correctly". If you install the pinion nut by hand or with an impact wrench set on low, you will be able to feel when your bearings bottom out on the crush sleeve. Don't over-tighten it. be sure to "stake" the pinion nut. Any noise that it makes will be covered by the side pipes.
It is my understanding that the crush sleeve is there to maintain the corect torque required to turn the flange. i.e it crushes as you tighten so that you can obtain the correct amount of friction. If the sleeve is not overcrushed and the correct torque can be obtained i see no reason why it should be replaced.

Correct me if i am wrong, but the only reason i can see to mark the assembly before removal is so you can get to a starting point without over crushing the sleeve and then tighten from there. I just need to be careful tightening.