View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I am now installing my gas tank and was reading the tank instructions. It said the vent valve is supposed to be installed above the filler neck. That's not possible. The filler cap is one of the highest parts of the body. I guess that's the reason most install it on the upper rear frame, but that's still about five inches lower than the filler.

In reading several old posts on the subject some complained when they fill up they smell gas fumes. That would makes sense, when you fill all the way up the fuel level would be about five inches or so higher than the vent, so the fuel would run out the vent.

I have an old CR manual, and they handled the issue by using a car filler tube with a vent tube line in the filler tube neck. Going this route would allow the use of a vented gas cap inside the Lemans cap that will vent the tank. The vent hose from the tank would then just be routed to the filler neck tube.

Possibly another option on cars using the existing vent valve would be to run the vent hose from the tank up high, higher than the filler, making a loop and then going down to the vent valve.

I think using a filler neck with a vent hose connection and a cap is the best of both worlds. Tomorrow, off to the wrecking yard.