View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Filler Modification Progress

I wanted to report of the progress of the fuel filler modification that was discussed. I had a hard time finding a filler neck that would work as two inch fillers are hard to find. I was able to find one out of a 79 Ford F150. This one had a 22 1/2 degree angle to it which looks like it will line up perfect with a straight tube right to the tank fill hole.

First I had to cut off the 1/16" flange that was on the neck. I decided to mount this setup from the bottom by adding a new wider flange that's made out of 1/8" plate that will be welded to the neck on the bottom side. On the top is a .050 piece of aluminum that will go just under the LeMans filler. This is just for looks. I didn't want to be looking at a painted surface around the neck. In the picture for some reason these pieces look yellow, but the thinner one is the aluminum piece. All three pieces will be held together with the six screws through the LeMans Cap. The hole in the body was only widened enough for the filler bung to slide up through the body.

The real thing that made this workable was I called Kirkhams and Tom said he would cut the two pieces out for me on his water jet. I went down this afternoon and Tom programmed it perfect with even the six holes for the LeMans cap to mount. This is the second time the Kirkhams have helped me out and the price was more than reasonable.