View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
You don't drive diamonds. If you're buying a trailer queen and plan to truck the car from show to show, then I suppose a "flawless diamond" finish will be a pre-requisite.

The factory paint on many of these cars (pick your brand) are actually quite stellar. Most every SPF owner that I know who took delivery of a car with flaws, and who wasn't a complete azz about it, had the dealer take care of them au gratis. Solids are usually easier to blend/match than metallics, so a buyer should take that into consideration whether they plan to buy a turn-key-minus or have their own project painted by a pro.

Even the most perfect paint job will start to show war wounds with a little driving...it's inevitable.

-Dean
mattpatt,

If you ever want to see what a an absolutely gorgeous SPF factory paint job looks like, go to Dean's house and see his red/wht stripe Cobra. The glossiest non-custom paint I've ever seen. But Dean uses lots of microfibre cloths and some special spray stuff (forgot the name Dean) that really works. Let us know where you are and perhaps you can get together with one or more current SPF owners and they can go over the plusses and minusses of their cars with you. I don't care what kind of car you buy, there will always be one little thing that may not be exactly to your liking. But these are sports cars that get stuff thrown on them, or they kick up the stuff themselves.

At first, I used touch up paint to fix little stone chips and things like that, but after almost 8,000 miles, I started liking the road rash look and quit touching up. Still clean up the topside, but l'm leaving the lower bruises as is. Personal preference.

Welcome to the site, it's usually a very friendly place full of good information and great people to share ideas with. I have made friends with a lot of guys from CC. You just have to filter out some of the "no purpose at all" remarks that a very few members post on the forum. They think it's funny, while most of us think it's ridiculous. Best wishes on your quest for the right car.