View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Well, here's the way I usually tackle an engine build:

Figure out what rpm range you want to run in, what characteristics you want the engine to have, etc., then choose components to fit that bill.

A hydraulic roller camshaft with advertised durations of 286/296 probably has a .050" duration of 236/246. A 236° camshaft in a 351W with good heads probably peaks at around 6200-6400 rpm if the springs will let it. If your hp peaks at around that rpm, then that means you would have to shift about 400-500 rpm higher than that if you were running the car hard in order for the rpms to fall back into the peaks everytime you shift.

Just going off of the information that you have given me, your heads are flowing well, you have a higher rpm camshaft, and you have a dual plane intake that is basically centered around an operating range of 2000-6000 rpm.

That intake will probably work just fine, but it's not really paired correctly with the other components....that's my opinion as an engine builder anyway.

If you're more of a cruiser and not a leg-stretcher, I would change the cam to something with a shorter duration at .050"...maybe a 224-230 degree camshaft. This would put the peak at around 5700-5800 and would enhance the low/midrange manners.

If you're more of a leg-stretcher and not a cruiser, then I would definitely consider throwing a Vic Jr on the engine. You would lose a little streetability, but towards the mid to higher end of the curve, it would pull harder.

If it were my car, I'd change the cam. A taller gear like a 3.27 isn't really suited for long camshaft durations. I think you'd really notice some difference just driving around the neighborhood with a shorter cam. Your tuning efforts would be less and I think your throttle response would be crisper down low.

My guess is that you're close to 425-450hp.

Even if you kept everything the same, I would at least take a look at dialing the cam ahead. I would venture to say that the LSA is a 110....and if you cranked that thing down to about 106 ICL, you'd see a noticeable difference at lower rpms, vacuum, etc.