View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yes, advance the cam to a 106° ICL. (If it's a 110 LSA...which we really don't know. You may need to put a degree wheel on it and check out the actual specs.)

You don't have to pull the head to check piston/valve clearances. Just pull an intake and an exhaust valve spring off, replace them with a checking spring, then use a dial indicator to see how far you can push the valve down until it touches. You will also need a degree wheel for this as you need to check the clearances where the valves would be the closest. For the intake valve, it's usually from TDC to 10° ATDC, where the intake valve is trying to chase the piston down on the intake stroke. The exhaust valve is usually closest 10° BTDC to TDC, where the piston is chasing the exhaust valve back down to the seat.

The only idle quality that you'll see a change in is how clean it idles, how well it takes gas down low, etc. Overlap doesn't change when you advance/retard cam timing.

The Voodoo cams are nice. Usually tighter LSA's narrow the range a little. When it comes time to go through it, you can give me or one of the other builders a call and we can help you pick a cam that will meet your needs perfectly.

If you do plan to go through it later on, I'd probably just drive it and enjoy it for now.