Thread: 428CJ Cooling
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
The oil cooler is de rigueur for originality, but it can be a complete PITA any time you drive in cooler temps or for short drives. Mine has the remote oil filter and cooler, and I have yet to get the oil past 70* even on warmish days and long freeway drives. So my next project is to cut in a Canton oil thermostat - pics and details will be up when I'm finished. That will keep the cooler and at least one quart of oil out of the loop while it warms up and stays at 80* or higher, which is where the oil temp needs to reside for proper lubrication and boiling out water and other volatiles that don't belong there. I would have removed the cooler entirely if it didn't routinely exceed 100* here through the summer; I suspect I will need the cooling capacity for longer summer drives.
You might want to check out the bypass device that one of the board members used to offer. It allows you to divert various percentages of oil through the cooler. It allows full flow and (I believe) none, by the turn of a knob. Pretty slick and machined from solid billet. I am sure someone will know his name. I feel bad since I used to know him from SCOF,but I haven't been there for a while. I do know he helps with the London Cobra show and works in a machine shop ( may even own it), and makes some nice jack stands that can be packed flat...also billet.