View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427sc
Not Ranked     

Interesting sentence in that article... "We're going to hold accountable people who repeatedly engage in dangerous activities, and I hope that these increased fines will give them incentive to stop their behavior and make our roads safer." Now take out the part about the roads and what are they saying... you do dangerous things and you can pay for it....What's next? Dirt bike riding tax? Skydiving tax? Skateboarding tax? More control from big brother and the insurance companies.

Are there bad and irresponsible drivers out there... absolutely! But driving over the posted speed limit, especially in a secluded and safe area is not the problem. When you have skilled drivers in well prepared cars doing a little over the limit, you are not dangerously jeopardizing anyone. The problem is low skill level and comprehension of the driving dynamics in most American drivers. Most of those speed laws were made when cars had 4 wheel drum brakes. Now you're are telling me that with anti lock brakes, precise rack and pinion steering, speed rated radials, traction and stability control, etc. etc. etc. the cars are still terribly dangerous at 75 or 80. Come on! what did we spend all that money and research on?

What we need is a more compreshensive driving test and some real training. Every 16 year old that shows up with a high school drivers ed diploma should not be getting a lic.

I too have reponded to many terrible vehicle accidents and 99.9% have either been alcohol/drug related, cell phone related, or just plain and simply a stupid and unskilled driver in one or both of the cars. I have yet to come upon a sober, experience driver in their well maintained sports car that has crashed due to a bit of excessive speed.