View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

My Mallory distributer had a !/8" x 3/"4 spring pin. It failed in my alley once when I reved the engine leaving the yard with cold oil. I replaced it with a true roll pin I sourced from MSD.When you drill larger holes or multiple holes you have moved the weak link in the system to somewhere else. Just read the stories about the high volume pumps with really high releif preasures. Read the storiy about Brent and the Heli-coil piece that got left in the oil pan and stopped the pump. His distributer drive shaft looked like a peice of ornamental iron, and the bearings that got damaged. I can see the high volume pump with a realistic releife pressure a slight step up to the roll in. If something happens, everything just coasts to a stop no damage other than halving tp remove the distributer, replace the pin and then reset the ignition again retiming again
I'd think rather than going with an absured releif presure that assureing flow would be a better focus. Large hoses , large fittings , gentle bends ,in and out of block matching bearing and block oil holes and in particular, a large capacity oil filter or if you are going to run Ford style filter elements, Try a filter bracket that lets you use two elements in a parrallel arangement to increase flow and not restriction

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 03-19-2010 at 03:58 PM..