View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I'm pretty careful about getting under my car, and I've seen cars slip off and hurt people.
Working under cars is one of my special horrors - not only because the damn things drip nasty stuff on you. I always chock and block to the max. I still have nightmares about a buddy and a 72 Mustang on four jackstands, on a packed gravel surface, with him all the way under whanging and banging to get some used part loose. The car wobbled three or four inches while he worked. Yes, he got out okay but I nearly killed him when he crawled out.

Rod, I settled on plain old Castrol 5W-30 for this change, which may not last very long if I have to pull the oil plumbing apart again. I'll be watching oil pressures carefully to see if the thinner grade - down from the 10W-40 Castrol the original owner used - has any trouble.

In the end, a mild hydraulic engine that won't see anything but mild track time (if that), the cooler and thermostat taking care of temps, and a plan for fairly frequent changes let me go with a fairly ordinary good quality dino oil instead of anything more exotic.

Anyone have preferences for a filter? I was going to replace the Fram with the same thing; I've had good luck with Fram products.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =

Last edited by Gunner; 01-06-2010 at 04:28 PM..