View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

It's been awhile since reviewing the topic , my thoughts/recollections are subject to other's opinions/comments and most importantly the actual experiences.......

The DMV law change for the $500 assessment was not intended to apply to the make name of Composite. The $500 max was first initiated by the rod community, CT Council of Car Clubs, and prior to a number of individuals/businesses from Club Cobra seeking Composite emissions exemption. RENEW1 had the initial emissions exemption Bill submitted which was then incorporated into the annual Bill for DMV changes. The 4c's then supported the emissions exemption as well as Composite model year registration.

The rod owners had altered original manufactured cars, but had not obtained the Early American plate. One of the reasons for the change was the inconsistent approach by the Town Tax Assessors when applying the $500 max value. There is a CT Tax Assessors Association that has discussed the topic, in the desire for consistency.

It was also mentioned application of the $500 max for those qualifying required an in-person visit with the Tax Assessor, not automatic from the tax/registration data base.

The year cut off to obtain the Early American plate is 20 years old, model year

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...NavCtr=|41827|

VANITY PLATE - EARLY AMERICAN BACKGROUND
(Vehicle must be 20 years or older)

The intent by having Composites registered as the year the model the vehicle most closely resembles would, hopefully, achieve the same result, by using the year of either 1965 or 1966 and submitting proof, i.e. pictures, etc verifying the Composite was styled the same as the original. Applies at the time of new registrations after 10-1-09, the 20 year requirement would be met to obtain the Early American plates. In theory, once having the Early American plates, the make name of Composite would qualify for the $500 max

I had a conversation with the LT ( do not have a name ) responsible for the Inspection Lane at Wethersfield in mid to late Oct/Nov and he assured me that new Cobra Composite registrations, 10-1-09 and later, would receive the 1965/66 Model year, make remaining Composite and the Model would be Cobra. The LT emphasized the DMV law change was not retroactive. Also, any new Composite registrations after 10-1-09 that did not have the 1965/66 model year could be changed if the year of registration had been recorded as 2009 or later, and initially registered after 10-1-09. The wording of the DMV law change in the Public Act for Model year registration did not allow for retroactive changes, unknown whether the retroactive option was or was not discussed, or an oversight.

An option, for anyone registering after 10-1-09 and not having the 1965/1966 model year on the registration is to call the Inspection Lane at Wethersfield and ask for the LT that is responsible for the process and discuss the topic.

If anyone wishes to research Public Act 09-187, some of the relevant sections:

Key Definitions: Subdivision ( 3 ) of Subsection ( a ) of Section 14-1
Subdivision ( 49 ) of Subsection ( a ) of Section 14-1

Key Statutes: Section 14-20

Regarding the Property Tax Limit: Section 12-71 ( b )