View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

There are two choices you are looking at here:

1) The stock length "5.0" standard type of hydro roller lifters will work in that block but you MUST use a small base circle cam and install the "dog bone" lifter holder kit. This kit requires drilling and tapping the block in the lifter valley. I don't believe there are any block casting restrictions or bosses etc. necessary. Just measure twice and drill once. Don't drill too far or you will drill into your cam bearing. BTW, Comp will make available almost any grind they have in a small base circle, but you may have to special order it. You can special order the small base circle version from Comp through Summit also, which is what I recommend since Summit is easier to deal with than Comp sometimes.

2) If you want to use a normal base circle roller cam, you can, but you need special length lifters like the ones in your link, also sold by Comp and a few others, which makes it a lot more expensive than the first method.

Almost all of the popular crate motor houses use the first method a lot, and it is fairly bullet proof.

Call Mike Forte, Brent Lykins, Keith Craft or any of our engine/parts sponsors and they can help you select parts for this or answer any questions.

Last edited by jdean; 01-10-2010 at 10:48 AM..